Lemon

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Lemon

by jain2016 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:05 am
A store sells multi-packs of lemon-flavored or orange-flavored soda. If Lana buys more than one pack each of lemon flavor and of orange flavor for a total of 40 bottles of soda, how many packs of lemon flavor does she buy?

(1) One pack of orange soda contains 6 bottles and one pack of lemon soda contains 2 bottles.

(2) The ratio of orange soda bottles to lemon soda bottles is 3 to 1.

OAC

Hi Experts ,

Please explain.

Thanks ,

SJ

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:13 am
jain2016 wrote:A store sells multi-packs of lemon-flavored or orange-flavored soda. If Lana buys more than one pack each of lemon flavor and of orange flavor for a total of 40 bottles of soda, how many packs of lemon flavor does she buy?

(1) One pack of orange soda contains 6 bottles and one pack of lemon soda contains 2 bottles.

(2) The ratio of orange soda bottles to lemon soda bottles is 3 to 1.
Statement 1:
Case 1: 6 six-packs of orange soda and 2 two-packs of lemon soda are purchased, for a total of 40-bottles.
Case 2: 5 six-packs of orange soda and 5 two-packs of lemon soda are purchased, for a total of 40 bottles.
Since the number of lemon packs can be different values, INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2:
Since a total of 40 bottles are purchased, and orange bottles/lemon bottles = 3/1 = 30/10, the total number of orange bottles = 30 and the total number of lemon bottles = 10.
Since the number of lemon bottles in each lemon pack is unknown, no way to determine how many lemon packs are purchased.
INSUFFICIENT.

Statements combined:
Since 10 lemon bottles are purchased, and each lemon pack contains 2 bottles, the number of lemon packs purchased = (total number of lemon bottles)/(number of bottles per pack) = 10/2 = 5.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3