machines work problem (i never get these right)

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Six machines, each working at the same constant rate, together can complete a certain job in 12 days. How many additional machines, each working at the same constant rate, will be needed to complete the job in 8 days?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:49 pm
josh80 wrote:Six machines, each working at the same constant rate, together can complete a certain job in 12 days. How many additional machines, each working at the same constant rate, will be needed to complete the job in 8 days?

A) 2
B) 3
C) 4
D) 6
E) 8
If 6 machines take 12 days to complete the job, then we can say that the job takes 72 "machine days" to complete the job (6x12=72)

To complete the job in 8 days would require 9 machines (72 machine days divided by 8 day = 9 machines)

So, we need an additional 3 machines.

Answer = B

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:98 members

by Patrick_GMATFix » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:26 pm
josh80 wrote:Six machines, each working at the same constant rate, together can complete a certain job in 12 days. How many additional machines, each working at the same constant rate, will be needed to complete the job in 8 days?

Approach 1:
Since Work done = #_of_Machines * Rate * Time, we can say that the amount of work done by 6 machines over 12 days is 6 * r * 12 days = 72r.

If we have only 8 days to do the job, the equation becomes x * r * 8 = 72r where x is the number of machines. x=9 machines, so we need an extra 3 machines (on top of the original 6) to do the job in 8 days.

Approach 2:
If you notice that # of machines and time are inversely proportional (meaning that doubling the machines will cut the time in half), we can quickly solve.

the time goes from 12 days to 8 days, so time was multiplied by 2/3. As a result, # of machines will be multiplied by the inverse, 3/2. So the new # of machines will be 6 * 3/2 = 9 machines. We need an extra 3 machines.
  • Ask me about tutoring.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:02 am

Approach 1: Plug in a rate for EACH MACHINE

Let the rate for each machine = 1 unit per day.
Rate for 6 machines = 6 units per day.
In 12 days, the amount of work produced by 6 machines = r*t = 6*12 = 72 units.
To produce 72 units in 8 days, the required amount of work per day = w/t = 72/8 = 9 units per day.
To increase the rate from 6 units per day to 9 units per day, 3 more machines are needed.

The correct answer is B.

Approach 2: Inverse proportion method

The number of machines is INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL to the number of days:
(machines)(days) = (machines)(days).
As the number of machines INCREASES, the number of days must DECREASE, so that in each case the SAME AMOUNT OF WORK is produced.

Since 6 machines take 12 days, and the job is to be completed in 8 days, we get:
6 * 12 = m * 8
72 = 8m
m = 9.

Since 9 machines are required, the original number of machines -- 6 -- must increase by 3.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3