Artificial Hip wear

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Artificial Hip wear

by bharath2787 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:23 am
Patient: I have read that particles of my artificial hip can wear off and be absorbed by surrounding tissues. I believe that this is responsible for the discomfort that I am now experiencing.

Surgeon: Your surgery was so recent that with normal use it is almost impossible for the artificial hip to have already begun to wear away. The reason for your current discomfort is due to routine post-operative inflammation which can be treated with a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the patient's position regarding her discomfort?

A. The patient has not followed the post-operative instructions she was given regarding how much time she should spend engaged in vigorous activities.
B. The inflammation that is common to people who have had replacement hip replacement surgery often needs to be treated with more potent drugs than the ones being recommended by the surgeon.
C. The patient has an artificial hip that is made of a material that can begin to wear out after a few weeks when exposed to temperatures higher than 200 degrees.
D. The patient read about the possibility of artificial hips wearing out in a respected medical journal.
E. The surgeon has only been performing hip-replacement surgery for less than a year.

OA is A, Why not C
Bharath

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by vinay1983 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:31 am
Here is recent link,which answers your query.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/patient-vs-s ... 75124.html

Strange though A and C were competitors. C is good too, but somehow exposure to 200 degrees seems not normal thing, Hence A(better among the options)
You can, for example never foretell what any one man will do, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to!