comparision

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

comparision

by confuse mind » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:47 pm
9) In comparison with the films produced by the classic 40's directors, today's filmmakers have produced nothing worth watching.

(A) In comparison with the films produced by the classic 40's directors, today's filmmakers have produced nothing worth watching.
(B) In comparison with the films produced by the classic 40's directors, the films from today's filmmakers are containing nothing worth watching.
(C) Compared to that of the classic 40''s filmmakers, todays's filmmakers have produced nothing worth watching.
(D) Compared to those produced by the classic 40's filmmakers, the films of today's directors are not worth watching.
(E) Compared to the classic 40's films, today's directors have produced nothing worth watching.

[spoiler]OA - D.
IMO - B
[/spoiler]

I feel compared with in more apt in the current context than compared to, as I read somewhere:
when comparison is done between parallel things, compared with is used
when equating something different to something else, compared to is used

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by shekhar.kataria » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:04 pm
First, More better idiom is

COMPARED TO X,Y

Second, i saw in one of the RON's post where he clarifies that there is no differnce between COMPARED TO / WITH.

Between B and D. B is not concise and an awkward structure at the end "are containing nothing worth watching"
confuse mind wrote:9) In comparison with the films produced by the classic 40's directors, today's filmmakers have produced nothing worth watching.

(A) In comparison with the films produced by the classic 40's directors, today's filmmakers have produced nothing worth watching.
(B) In comparison with the films produced by the classic 40's directors, the films from today's filmmakers are containing nothing worth watching.
(C) Compared to that of the classic 40''s filmmakers, todays's filmmakers have produced nothing worth watching.
(D) Compared to those produced by the classic 40's filmmakers, the films of today's directors are not worth watching.
(E) Compared to the classic 40's films, today's directors have produced nothing worth watching.

[spoiler]OA - D.
IMO - B
[/spoiler]

I feel compared with in more apt in the current context than compared to, as I read somewhere:
when comparison is done between parallel things, compared with is used
when equating something different to something else, compared to is used
Restlessness and discontent are the first necessities of progress.--Thomas A. Edison

If you find this post helpful, let me know by clicking thanks above :-)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Sentence Correction

by Sheehan276 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:51 pm
"compared to" and "compared with" are equivalent idioms from the point of view of the GMAT; either is correct.

I think I should follow MGMAT and ignore usage of compare to,compare with. <i class="em em---1"></i>

telldunkin

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Gitika_Lakhotia » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:26 am
The problem with B lies in the usage of present continuous tense "are containing".
Present continuous is used when the action is being performed at the current moment. Since the meaning of the sentence does not imply that, present continuous is incorrect.
Simple present in this case would be better since it is more of a fact that today's films contain nothing worth watching.