Practice Test Fluctutation

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Practice Test Fluctutation

by abbyyip » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:23 pm
My practice test scores are fluctuating like crazy! does anyone have any experience with this? Could it be my mood? (i.e. one hard question in the middle of the test screwing me over) or can my skill level really fluctuate this much? and for those who took the actual gmat already, which practice test (besides Gmat Prep) do you think most reflects the actual test?

1) Pre Studying: P.R. --> 490
2) P.R --> 510
3) Kaplan (Online) --> 620
4) MGMAT --> 490
5) GMAT Prep --> 620
6) P.R. --> 640
7) Kaplan (cd) --> 500
8) P.R. --> 630

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: Practice Test Fluctutation

by beatthegmat » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:46 pm
abbyyip wrote:My practice test scores are fluctuating like crazy! does anyone have any experience with this? Could it be my mood? (i.e. one hard question in the middle of the test screwing me over) or can my skill level really fluctuate this much? and for those who took the actual gmat already, which practice test (besides Gmat Prep) do you think most reflects the actual test?

1) Pre Studying: P.R. --> 490
2) P.R --> 510
3) Kaplan (Online) --> 620
4) MGMAT --> 490
5) GMAT Prep --> 620
6) P.R. --> 640
7) Kaplan (cd) --> 500
8) P.R. --> 630
I'm not as familiar with MGMAT tests. From experience, I say that PR and GMATPrep are fairly accurate representations of performance. Don't take your Kaplan scores too seriously--they are severely skewed down on purpose.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:46 pm
Our tests have a standard deviation of about 50 points, compared to a standard deviation of about 30 points for the official test. As far as I know, the other companies don't publish their standard deviations (which makes me think ours is better than theirs... but I don't know that for sure :)).

Regardless, the closest approximation will be from GMATPrep, since that is built off of the same algorithm used for the official test.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me