This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Too many career moves!!!

by think.thru » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:44 pm
Hey
Very good day!

My brief profile-
1. Grad 3.3 GPA, 720 GMAT
2. B.Tech (IIT'05); CFA level 3 candidate; Indian male. Pretty decent extra-currics
3. Analyst with world's top mutual fund house

After my UG, I have involved myself with as many as 4 totally non-related work profiles.
a. Entrepreneur - educational coaching institute (six mnths)
b. Marketing analytics - work primarily involved statistical models (15 months)
c. Retirement industry - analyst
d. Fixed income - analyst

My ques-
I have worked in so many different roles and unfortunately, all of them have been un-correlated. How do you think, I should link them all and bring up a common thread out of these? My post-mba goal is private equity & long-term is being an entrepreneur.

Thanks
TT

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:52 pm
Dear ThinkThru,

Thanks for your post!

It looks like you have indeed moved around quite a bit, but my sense is that jobs "b", "c" and "d" share some common traits (analytical, etc). It's also possible that job "a" might fit with your path a bit better than you'd expect - particularly if entrepreneurship is in your long-term plans.

Of course, in order to properly advise you, I'd need to better understand the context of each move (and whether or not any of your postions were concurrent), but I wouldn't say that your situation is dire.

As to your general stats, things look fairly sound overall - if not stellar. I do wonder if you might have more precision around your goals - since I'd be curious to know what sort of entrepreneurial plans you have and why you are interested in PE, etc.

Keep in mind that as an Indian male, IIT grad, you are going to face fairly stiff competition. This is where the clarity of your application strategy and quality of your essays can pay dividends.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.