Need your suggestion Graham

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need your suggestion Graham

by scud » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:45 am
first of all i am not sure whether my profile is good enough....but still i need you to have a look into it...

GMAT SCORE---680

GRADUATION --- B-Tech (in Information Technology) with 75% ( considering my university toppers get around 83%)

SSC(10th)---87%

HSC(12th)---80%

I am affiliated to an NGO that helps orphan children.

I have been into my family business for 1 year. The company deals with pneumatic and electrical tools, we do import and exports and have dealers in Japan and US, but still i don't think university people will consider this as a valid work exp.

I have very good extra-ciriculars( college football team, dance comp, governer award in 'scouts and guides' , black belt in karate, many certificates in atheletics etc)

This is it, so please can you suggest me some good universities as i have to do my MBA next year only.

Any help will be appreciated............
[/b]

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:57 am
Hi Scud,

Thanks for your post. My thoughts on your profile are as follows:

1) There are a lot of missing bits of information here, such as the breakdown on your GMAT results, where you went to school, what country you are from, what your goals are, etc.

2) Your academic profile seems fairly average. A 680 is about 30+ points below the GMAT average at the top US programs. Your GPA sounds fine, but there are many candidates in the pool with a B-tech and decent marks.

3) Your work experience sounds interesting, but rather limited in terms of duration. The schools will certainly consider a family business experience as valid. Of course, while family businesses have clear positives (you often are given greater responsibilities, etc) they can also raise some questions (about nepotism, etc). As such, there are strategies you will need to employ to help make the work seem as professional as possible (e.g. don't have your uncle, father, mother write your recommendations).

4) Your XCs look decent. I'd need to know more, but it seems that you have several items to work with here.

Based on the limited information I have, it's truly hard to recommend schools. For instance, I'm not even sure if you are looking at US programs vs. Europe or Asia, 1-year vs. 2-year, etc. Further, without a sense of your objectives (career plans), I can't tell you which schools might be best suited. I will say, however, that your profile doesn't yet strike me as top-tier in the US (due to limited work experience and a relatively pedestrian GMAT result).

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by scud » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:06 am
thanks for your reply Graham...sorry i forgot to mention all my details

I am an INDIAN male

regarding my choice of location----i am looking for MBA in Marketing in a US B-School.....

and my split up (how can i forget this !!! ) 680 (48/35)

now i want a big favour from you....can you please suggest me 5 US B-schools i can safely apply to.....and yeah also if u think some other B-School (not in US) will suit me.....then pls do inform me about that also...