OG VR:Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary men and women having been previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves.

A.having been previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves
B.who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves
C.previously considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself
D.of whom it had previously been considered they were incapable of discerning truth for themselves
E.who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself

OA:B

[spoiler]What makes B correct and what is wrong in E is it because of "himself or herself"[/spoiler]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:20 am
NandishSS wrote:Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary men and women having been previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves.

A.having been previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves
B.who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves
C.previously considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself
D.of whom it had previously been considered they were incapable of discerning truth for themselves
E.who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself
A: women having been previously considered
NOUN + having + VERBed is always wrong.
Eliminate A.

In C and E, himself and herself -- both singular -- lack singular antecedents.
Eliminate C and E.

In D, it lacks a clear referent.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3