Plz explain these 3 questions

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Plz explain these 3 questions

by nishant_1010 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:25 pm
1. Frank Lloyd Wright, in his use of structural elements, skillfully integrates them with the aesthetic components of a building.

(A) Frank Lloyd Wright, in his use of structural elements, skillfully integrates them with the aesthetic components of a building
(B) Frank Lloyd Wright skillfully, in his use of structural elements, integrates them with the aesthetic components of a building
(C) Frank Lloyd Wright, when he makes use of structural elements, skillfully integrates them with the aesthetic components of a building
(D) Frank Lloyd Wright skillfully uses structural elements of buildings and integrates them with the aesthetic components
(E) Frank Lloyd Wright, who uses structural elements, skillfully integrates them with the aesthetic components of a building

Ans D

DOUBT: Both D and E are gramatically correct and convey a complete meaning. How to decide between D and E

2. Diplomats at the highest levels exhibit fewer negotiating abilities to such an extent as to make it difficult to rely on them in a world growing increasingly more tension fraught and hostile.

(A) exhibit fewer negotiating abilities to such an extent as to make it difficult to rely on them in a world growing
(B) exhibit fewer negotiating abilities to such a large extent that it will be difficult to rely on them in a world that grows
(C) exhibit so few negotiating abilities to such an extent as to be difficult to rely on them in a world that is growing
(D) are exhibiting fewer negotiating abilities to such an extent that it will be difficult to rely on them in a world growing
(E) are exhibiting fewer negotiating abilities to such an extent as to be difficult to rely on them in a world growing

Ans D

DOUBT: I chose C. Why is C wrong

3. The plan outlined by the junior senator from Missouri advised that to maintain the viability of certain industries new government legislation should allow drilling for fossil fuels in national forests, restrictions on pollution levels should be reduced, and establish a new oversight committee dedicated to enforcing these changes.

(A) should allow drilling for fossil fuels in national forests, restrictions on pollution levels should be reduced, and establish a new oversight committee
(B) should allow drilling for fossil fuels in national forests, reductions of restrictions on pollution, and establish a new oversight committee
(C) should allow drilling for fossil fuels in national forests, reduce restrictions on pollution, and establish a new oversight committee
(D) allow drilling for fossil fuels in national forests, reduce restrictions on pollution levels, and establish a new oversight committee
(E) allow drilling for fossil fuels in national forests, reduce restrictions on pollution levels, and to establish a new oversight committee

Ans D
DOUBT: Both C and D are very very close. How to decide between the two?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by maxuser77 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:01 pm
Hellow, please refer to my opinion.

Q1.

In original sentence, phrase 'in use of~' acts like participle of verb 'use'.
So, this phrase describes that 'in use of~' and 'integrates' are simutaneous action. So, it is better to make parallelism between 'in use of~' and 'integrates'. As well, 'in use of' is wordy expression, comparing to the verb 'use'. And another wrong point in answer choice E is pronoun 'that'. This pronoun doesn't have appropriate reference in this sentence. But, in answer choice D, them is referent to 'stuructual elements' because the phrase ' in use of~' is converted to verb+object form.

Q2.

I'd like to give two points.

One is Present Continuous expression. This sentence is talking about a phenomenon rising change in the world. So, this situation is acting continuously behind the visual perception of people. So, using present continuous expression is adequate to clear meaning.

Another one is So~that idiom. Answer choice C uses 'So' in order to emphasize the few ability of highest level diplomats. Therefore 'that' clause should follow 'so' phrase and show the result to reader through 'that clause'.

Q3

I'm not sure of this question, but I think that 'advise' has another meaning of 'recommend'. 'Recommend' has some gramatical construction like 'S+recommend+that+S'+Basic form Verb'. This grammatical construction can be applied to several verbs such as 'require','suggest' etc..

I wish you can get something from my opinion.

Edward
Una Persona Non Posso Dimenticare.

by balajinaik » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:02 am
Q3:

Anser c changes the meaning of original sentence. Reduce restrictions on polloution is different from reduce restrictions on pollution levels.

Hence D is correct

balajinaik is right

by maxuser77 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:32 am
I missed 'level'.
Una Persona Non Posso Dimenticare.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:09 pm
Please post the source for any questions you post. The first two do not seem to be sufficiently "GMAT-like" questions to warrant study.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Source of the questions

by nishant_1010 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:12 pm
HI

I attempted an online test at the following site

https://gmat.bellcurves.com/tests_cat_qu ... 7c086f05a6

I was not able to answer these questions correctly so i posted them on the forum

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:52 pm
Got it. I don't recognize that source. I wouldn't worry too much about these questions.

Also, it's a good idea to try to study from either official guide questions or questions from reputable companies that are large enough to do the necessary research and quality control to make sure that the questions mimic actual GMAT questions as much as possible. Questions that are "off" (or not very GMAT-like) can actually hurt your study regimen.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

by aficionado » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:47 am
is Q3 correct, do D and E don't carry should in the begining ??

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:43 pm
Yeah, something's not right there, either. Either something has been dropped in transcribing the question... or question 3 is bad, too (since it says D is the answer... and it's not grammatically correct).

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

by akeel6 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:28 pm
Hi, i'm newish to this i thought #2 one was just like this one i saw somewhere... is this one bad too

Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to
absorb them into a city economy becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries.

(A) lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy
becoming
(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they w ill be difficult to absorb into a city's economy that
becomes
(C) lack of math skills is so large as to be difficult to absorb them into a city's economy that becomes
(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to absorb into a city's economy becoming
(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by Cybermusings » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:09 am
D, D & D

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:42 pm
Stacey Koprince wrote:Got it. I don't recognize that source. I wouldn't worry too much about these questions.

Also, it's a good idea to try to study from either official guide questions or questions from reputable companies that are large enough to do the necessary research and quality control to make sure that the questions mimic actual GMAT questions as much as possible. Questions that are "off" (or not very GMAT-like) can actually hurt your study regimen.
Entirely agree 8)