Recent GMAT Test Takers - Need your Feedback

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
A few months back, when I bought OG 11, I decided to save the quant diagnostic test for a later time - early in my studies it didn't make sense to me to even try to answer the questions in the diagnostic section, since I knew deep down that I would get most of them wrong - plus I didn't need the diagnostic test to tell me that I needed to improve (I knew I had my work cut out for me). Anyway, in short, I decided to take the diagnostic test later when I was close to done with my prep.

To date, I have studied for the last few months and have seen improvement on the quant side based on my practice tests from MGMAT and GMAT Prep.

However, today, I decided to see how well I would do with the diagnostic test under timed conditions (2mins per question) in the OG 11 since I've read in this forum that they are reflective of what you'll see on the actual GMAT. The diagnostic test quant questions seemed somewhat tougher than the MGMAT and GMAT Prep math.

With that, my questions are:

- are most of the quant questions on the actual test more like the questions in the quant diagnostic section of OG 11 (pgs 20-25)?

- or will they be more like what you see in the quant practice sections of OG 11 and GMAT Prep software?

- or would you say the math on actual test is like a combo of all math on GMAT Prep, OG, and MGMAT?

I know that the level of difficulty per question on the actual test will fluctuate with my performance, but what level of difficulty are the diagnostic quant questions in OG 11? Would you say all of them range btwn 600-700, above the 700 level (to me, none of the questions seemed to range from 400-600, all seemed to be above 600 and even slightly skewed toward the 700-800 range).

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:47 pm
Yes, I think that the quant section in the "diagnostic test" in the OG is a little crazy. I don't think it's all that representative of the actual level of difficulty most people encounter on the exam - I'd rank them in the 700-800 level, for sure - and even then, still a little hard.

Still, it's good to know how to do the problems, but I agree it's tough to do most of them in under two minutes. I wouldn't stress about the diag test too much.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

by jazzcat4u » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:36 pm
thanks! i thought i was losing it there for a while...the og diagnostic problems seemed tough under 2 min time constraints each esp when trying to do them all in a row...

by gileyal » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:02 pm
I honestly think GMATPREP is very close to the real thing in Quantative. To me the verbal on the real thing was a little harder than usual, but tat could have a lot to do with stress.

My feelings are that most OG questions are a lot easier than what you see in the exam if you are in the 600 to 700 level, and are probably easier than most 500 level questions.

I would recommend getting a question bank from one of the GMAT preparation companies and using it to gauge your level.

Also - keep in mind that timing is essential. If you are only working with the books, make sure you are answering within the two minute time limit! Otherwise, you may have a big problem during the exam.

Good luck!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:27 pm
The OP is referring to the paper diagnostic test in the OG, not the GMAT Prep Practice CATs. I agree that the CATs are excellent indicators and are the same level of difficulty as the actual GMAT.

I disagree that the OG is easier than the actual GMAT. I think that there are a lot of easy problems in the OG, but once you get towards the end of each section you're definitely getting into 700+ level problems. Since most people don't score 700+ anyway, most problems in the OG are appropriate.

I also disagree about restricting yourself to two minutes when studying. Studying is your time to think, analyze, try different approaches, etc. When I study, and what I advise students to do, is to take as much time as necessery on every problem to ensure that you truly "get it" - that is, what problem type it is, the best way to solve it, why every answer is right/wrong, etc. Then, use practice exams to practice your pacing. I think that if you put in the sort of analysis I mentioned, pacing tends to take care of itself since you'll know how to do most problems.

Just my two cents!
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep