how to study - 1000 CR series posted on Wiki

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hello,

I just started working on 1000 CR questions posted on Wiki section, and found that I only get 50% right....

I am just wondering if those questions are real one (part of disclosure) or somehow made to be a bit more difficult for practice use. (which I hope)

Also, if you could give me any suggestion on how to study CR section. now I am just trying to solve CR 20-40 question from 1000 series, but I don't see any progress at all as to the percentage of my correct answers... so I am bit worried if I am doing right thing.

Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Thank you.
R. :P

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:52 pm
you need to practise a lot, in order to increase the accuracy.

The only materials you can trust is official guides. READ THEIR EXPLANATIONS... THEY ARE VITAL IN SETTING UP your own strategy to attack CR.

by magical cook » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:13 pm
Okay - practice, practice and practice...that's what I thought. 8)

2 questions

1) are those questions on 1000 CR material generally harder than those in official guide?

2) should I also try LSAT questions on 1000 CR material or should I just work on GMAT sections.

Thanks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:17 pm
you should work on GMAT questions first. if you still have time in for other types of questions.
But even before that you should learn what/which are ''GMAT types'' of questions, and for that u should refer to OG. :)

by magical cook » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:42 pm
Okay - thanks for suggestion :D

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:43 pm
I haven't studied the 1000 series exhaustively, but I have seen questions as people have posted and asked for help... and I haven't been impressed. If it were me, I wouldn't study from them.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Aalriy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:33 am
Stacey Koprince wrote:I haven't studied the 1000 series exhaustively, but I have seen questions as people have posted and asked for help... and I haven't been impressed. If it were me, I wouldn't study from them.
What would u suggest other than OG?
impossible is notthing....

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:57 am
Not much, actually. Between OG12, OG11, the quant and verbal supplements (1st and 2nd editions), GMATPrep, and GMAT Focus, there are thousands of questions. If you are not yet where you want to be after all of those, then your task is NOT to find new questions. Your task is to go back and study those old ones, because you have not yet learned what you needed to learn from the official questions. Studying new questions won't help all that much if you haven't been studying in the best way in the first place.

The one drawback to the official questions is that the explanations are sometimes lacking. As a result, I would suggest finding *one* company whose work you trust and going back and forth between official stuff (the best problems, mediocre explanations) and the stuff from that prep company (good problems, great explanations).

Also, I wouldn't even recommend doing all of the thousands of official questions available. Review and analysis of a smaller pool is far more important than problem after problem without appropriate analysis. Take a look at this article; it gives you an idea of the kind of analysis you should be doing while you study. (And you'll see that the analysis is so extensive, you wouldn't have time to do 2,000+ questions anyway.)

https://www.beatthegmat.com/a/2009/10/09 ... ce-problem
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

GMAT Instructor
GMAT Score:800

by chris@knewton » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:59 pm
That's definitely great feedback, Stacey. Too often students forsake quality of review for quantity.

One certainly needs to go through a large number of questions in order to understand the patterns that start to appear, but burning questions for the sake of burning questions only serves to waste time. Additionally there is often much value that you can extract (and this is where prep courses come in handy) by also studying trends in wrong answer choices, identification of which can supplement other right-answer-focused strategies nicely.
Chris Rosenbaum
Director of Test Prep, Knewton

Follow me on twitter here: https://twitter.com/KnewtonChris

https://www.knewton.com