Anaylze Issue Essay - first attempt

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Anaylze Issue Essay - first attempt

by nirupshetty » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:06 am
this is my first attempt at the Analyze Issue essay.. pls rate

ESSAY QUESTION:
“The level of a country’s development can be best judged by the well-being of its two most vulnerable social groups—children and senior citizens.”

Explain what you think this quotation means and discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with it. Develop your position with reasons and/or specific examples drawn from history, current events, or your own experience, observations, or reading.

YOUR RESPONSE:
The contention that the country's development can be best judged by the well-being of its two most vulnerable social groups - children and senior citizens is very true. It cannot be denied that children and senior citizens are very dependent on others to go through their day-to-day activities.

One reason for my belief is that elderly people are the same ones who have toiled all their life to advance the country. It would be unfair to disrespect them and not take good care just because they are too old to take care of themselves. Similarly, children are the next generations leaders and they should be nurtured well to make them into strong leaders. If they are not taken care of they may turn out to be detrimental to the country's progress.

I think that analogy of armed forces works in this situation as well. The country that has the best army are invariably those which take good care of its soldiers after they come back from war. I believe there are so many brave soldiers who put their life in danger for the country are in peace if they know that the country that they are fighting for will take good care of their family if something should happen to them.

Some might argue that the word well-being is a vague term and cannot be measured as it is based on one's interpretation. There will be definitely instances when one's son/daughter or father/mother will not take good care of their parents or children. I personally believe that in this case the government should step in and make good take-care homes where they can be nurtured. This would be a true judgment of any country's development.

Thus, I strongly believe that a country's development can be best judged by how well they take care of their most vulnerable group.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by nirupshetty » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:40 pm
I should add.. i don't think i interpreted this topic properly.. just thought of giving one a try and don't think i did a good job at this.. will need to put extra efforts i guess over the next 2-3 weeks...