Help - Not getting anywhere

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Help - Not getting anywhere

by altice » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:34 pm
Well it's felt like forever studying for this test. I started off doing Kaplan a long time ago in August. I scored 550 which was bad. It was my first test so I missed a lot of quant questions. I got 600 next time and then after studying I got 600 AGAIN like 2 months later. During this point I had picked up the 4th Edition of Manhattan GMAT. Anyhow, after buying advanced quant and aristotle, I decided to take a CAT on Jan. 7. I scored 650. I felt this combined with a tutor and I would finally schedule a date after YEARS of thinking of taking the test on Feb. 11. I will add that I have dumped Kaplan started with a math tutor and done the Economist GMAT Tutor although I wish I didn't spend on that. Anyhow tonight was 630. Feels almost worse than any other score because I have studied hard and feel like I am finally reading the right books after wasting my time with Kaplan. Anyhow what is a realistic test date. I don't think Feb. 11 is realistic. Part of me almost wonders whether it's time to move on. Anyhow, any help will be greatly appreciated.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:05 am
Hey altice,

I can appreciate your frustration.

A "realistic test date" depends largely on your target score and on the number of hours you can devote to studying. Having said that, I typically suggest that students achieve their target score on at least 2 practices tests before they take the official test.

I don't know the details of your studies to date, but it does sound like you've been bouncing around from resource to resource.
You might consider signing up for BTG's free 60-Day Study Guide (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide).
Each day is devoted to a certain topic (e.g., Statistics), which allows you to focus (and master) one concept at a time.
It will also ensure that you cover everything that the GMAT tests.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by altice » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:37 am
Thanks for post.

1) I think huge frustration was thinking I turned a corner with a 660 score and that I was getting closer despite consistently getting questions wrong. To go down to 630 after the quantity I have studied is frustrating.

2) Whether it's tennis or GMAT, the mental part of the game is clearly lacking.

3) Timing is the worst. I scored identical on the Quant as my timing has always been bad. But yesterday my verbal I was slow on timing.

4) And with tutor, Master The GMAT, Aristotle etc. I think I am starting to throw good money after bad. I can take solace in that my best was 660 on my best day, I guess but that is clearly not close to the score I want. And maybe it's not the best idea, but I have hesitated to start on the Essay and Recommendation process. I believe I have 7 day period to cancel the test. So perhaps I will take another CAT in a week and see where I am.

5) Finally, maybe I need to set a realistic goal for score instead of having my head in the clouds.

Thanks for your post.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:42 am
I wouldn't read too much into the 630 score (following the 660 score). On any given day, a person's score can easily fluctuate 50 points. Sometimes a difficult math problem (or a super complex RC passage) early on can throw you off course.
altice wrote: 3) Timing is the worst. I scored identical on the Quant as my timing has always been bad. But yesterday my verbal I was slow on timing.
I don't know what kind of time-management strategy you're using, but if you're interested, we have a free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:24 pm
altice wrote:Thanks for post.

1) I think huge frustration was thinking I turned a corner with a 660 score and that I was getting closer despite consistently getting questions wrong. To go down to 630 after the quantity I have studied is frustrating.

2) Whether it's tennis or GMAT, the mental part of the game is clearly lacking.

3) Timing is the worst. I scored identical on the Quant as my timing has always been bad. But yesterday my verbal I was slow on timing.

4) And with tutor, Master The GMAT, Aristotle etc. I think I am starting to throw good money after bad. I can take solace in that my best was 660 on my best day, I guess but that is clearly not close to the score I want. And maybe it's not the best idea, but I have hesitated to start on the Essay and Recommendation process. I believe I have 7 day period to cancel the test. So perhaps I will take another CAT in a week and see where I am.

5) Finally, maybe I need to set a realistic goal for score instead of having my head in the clouds.

Thanks for your post.
First off -- deep breath. You will get through this and you will be happy and content with where you end up. That said, I agree w/ one of Brent's questions below -- what's your goal?

Beyond that -- you need to think about what you've got the stomach for? When do you want to apply to b-school? Does that help you work backwards to think about when you should (need to) take the test?

The biggest question I need to ask you is this -- what do your diagnostics tell you that you need to focus on? Are your gaps consistent across the board? Or are there certain types of problems/questions that give you the most difficulty?

Take a look at this link -- https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ice-tests/ -- and shoot me a note back so we can chat more.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)