FT MBA-Oncampus recruiting offers for experienced candidates

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:2 members
Hi - I am 33 y/o and am interested in pursuing a FT MBA Program to make a switch from tech mgmt consulting to go into IT Product management / general management but tech industry focussed.

So, my question is : Given that the majority of students are in their mid-20s, does on-campus hiring mostly feature entry-level management roles ? How does career services / recruiters handle experienced candidates - esp those with 7+ years of experience ?

If entry-level mgmt jobs constitute 80% of the job offers, I'm worried about my post-mba prospects given my experience.

Any expert advice on this will be welcome.

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:740

by ivyctor2010 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:46 pm
If you are a very high experience candidate you have three job avenues:

1) A few recruiters (not many) would surely come for a high-experience roles
2) If a recruiter comes for a 5-6 years experience role but you know that their business is such that they would also need high experience candidate you can always negotiate better roles during interviews, citing your better experience
3) Off-campus: When you have a good B-school brand with you and being in business for a decade or so you would have a lot of industry connections already, I am sure it would not be tough for you to get interview airtime with the HR and senior management of companies you would want to get into. Your MBA is signal enough for your capabilities and later you can shine in the interview and get the coveted job.

Myth-Breaker

It may seem rude and my apologies if it does, but please do not enter the recruitment scene thinking grey hair get VP positions by default. You will have to prove your worth at every stage of recruitment process to get a senior position regardless of number of years in your work experience.
Ivyctor Mobile App packed with school selection, scholarship, application management and alumni connect
Download https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .app&hl=en

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by WouldBeCrazy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:07 am
For the original poster, YES, it will be tough. Precisely this is the single most reason why many schools flatly refuse to admit senior guys. by the way, I am one.

Then I agree with Ivy, being in a disatvantage position, you need to act differently, you need to work extra hard from day one. And ofcourse, select a school where they have a cooperating career service, who goes the extra mile.

To me MBA is an experience and nothing comes closer to any other forms of study except FT.