Should you respond to general e-mails from schools?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:650
Just a quick question,

Since completing the GMAT I have received quite a few e-mails from different schools addressed to me personally - some of them even including waiving the fee for the application or asking for a general skype interview to meet you. Are they expecting recognition or a general thank you for these or are these always sent out to people in their GMAT range so they are not expecting a reply? I didn't want to be rude and not reply if they were expecting a thank you or a hello yes I am very interested in your school.

Thanks for the advice!
-BP

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:09 am
Hi bpolley00,

That's a great question - generally speaking those are automated messages they send to the list. You are definitely not rude if you don't respond but it's very considerate of you to ask. In all honesty, they send far too many for you to possibly keep up with in the first place!

I hope that helps,

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by bpolley00 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:28 pm
Critical,

That is what I had thought. Is it quite common for schools to waive the admissions fee in these as well?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:32 pm
Hey there,

It's uncommon in the top 20 programs. After that, it tends to occur a little more frequently and is more prevalent in later rounds.

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by bpolley00 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:33 pm
So if i got one from a top 20 program (not going to name), it is probably in my best interest to respond with a well thought out e-mail, correct? Or should I take it as they send this to everyone? Sorry, I just got done with the gmat and I need to do my homework about the entire process. I am not planning on applying until my work experience is a little bit stronger. Thanks so much for your replies.

-BP

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:09 am
Hey,

If it is from a program you're interested in or think you might be, absolutely respond. It opens a communication with the admissions department, shows your interest, and demonstrates your commitment to the process! Reaching out to a program you're looking to explore is never a bad thing but I'm sure you know that!

As a side note, when you get those emails, scroll to the bottom. Generally, if they're automated, it'll have an option to unsubscribe which will give you a hint.

Congratulations on finishing the GMAT! It seems you did well enough that you're not doing it again so that's great news!

I absolutely understand and fully support you looking to strengthen your candidacy before you apply. It's a smart move. If you have any other questions as you do your homework, let me know!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MBAAdmissionsCoach » Wed May 01, 2013 8:32 am
Hi BP -

You're going to be receiving a lot of email as a recent GMAT test taker - this is just the beginning!

Bottom line: The emails do not require a response. However, if you are interested in the school sending the email, you should respond.

Here's why: As an applicant, you put yourself in the best position to have a relationship with the admissions staff. Specifically, I recommend that you develop a relationship directly with one person in the admissions office. It's not going to be the Director of Admissions. It will likely be an Associate or Assistant Director.

Don't be concerned if you are not applying right away. When I was the Director of MBA Admissions, it was not uncommon for me to work with candidates for 2-3 years. In fact, the MBA recruiting and admissions cycle seems to be shifting from a 12-month cycle to an 18-month cycle.

You may not take advantage of the offer that comes in the email, but use the message to start your dialogue, and carefully cultivate your relationship from there!

All the best!

Wendy
I love to talk about MBA admissions with MBA applicants! If you find my posts helpful, please take a moment to click the "thank" icon at the top of the page and/or follow me!

Wendy Flynn
MBA Admissions Coach
[email protected]
https://MBAAdmissionsCoach.com

Blog: MBA Expert Insights: https://MBAAdmissionsCoach.com/blog

Facebook: https://www.Facebook.com/MBAAdmissionsCoach

Twitter: https://www.Twitter.com/WendyLFlynn

Member of AIGAC: Association of International Graduate Admissions Consultants

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by classic5 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:04 am
If the email came from a specific person and not from admissions@..., it makes more sense to respond.

by bpolley00 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:39 pm
Sorry about the late reply! Thanks so much for the advice. I am not quite done with the GMAT as my scores have been ranging from a 690-740 on the prep test, so I am a little disappointed with the 650 and I think if I give it one more go it would be worth the extra effort. I know the GMAT isn't the most important part of the application, but I would like to earn it rather than squeak by and this is one part of the application process that is completely in my control. Hopefully you will be seeing my final attempt on the I just beat the GMAT forum! Thanks again for the responses.

Sincerely,

-BP