GMAT will be competative

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

GMAT will be competative

by asamanta » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:01 am
Hi,

Please could you tell me why you feel this year's MBA admissions will be ultra competative ? Also how should one go about this application process to get the most and would it be better to apply next year is the MBA application would be less competative ?

I would just like top share my history with you to get a perspective of the schools I am considering. Please guide me as to whether I am right ?

GMAT : 700 (90th Percentile) GPA 3.9/4.0 (Purdue - Krannert Management)
Work Exp: 3 Years in my own organization in Mumbai, India

My first choice:
Wharton, Stanford, Howard, Berkley, INSEAD, NYU, Kellog, Univ of Chicago

Safety School:
USC, --- I need more help here - Please guide me

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:18 pm
Hi Asa,

This year is going to be very competitive for two reasons. One, since the US economy has been quite bad for some time (esp in the financial sector), many people are going to apply to business schools to 'ride out the wave' - go to school while there isnt much going on in the economy. A lot of companies are laying off workers and the job market is very weak, so its a great time to go back to business school.

Two - many applicants were unable to get into MBA programs last year, so they will likely be applying to schools this year, which will make the applicant pool even more competitive.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, its very hard to access a candidates likelihood of admission based on GMAT and GPA. Also, as an Indian applicant, you will have more difficulty getting into a good school. I think H/S/W will be a stretch for you.

Make sure you focus on your essays and how you are different from your peers. Also... if possible, try to apply in the first round of your top schools.

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Thanks...

by asamanta » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:50 pm
thanks nikhil,

but could you also tll me whether you think the MBA pool would be less competative next year ? then may be I should avoid the MBA this year and do it next year ?

Also could you guide me as to where I can find a list of a colleges where you think i might be a good fit for an MBA?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:49 am
Hi Asa,
Thanks for your reply. Regarding the 2010 application year, its hard to say. In my opinion, I do believe admission will be 'slightly' easier next year. My thought is that the economy will pick up and therefore there will be less applicants next year. However, many applicants that didnt get in this year, will likely reapply next year... but overall, I think things should improve.

I would be happy to suggest some schools. Can you tell me more about your background and post-MBA career interests?
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep