Question about the Resume

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Question about the Resume

by newera » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:43 pm
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to this.

Someone told me that I should somehow relate my essay topics to the story that my resume tells. To be more specific, when I first came out of university, I worked in a totally different field than which I work at now. I worked in this field (healthcare) for less than a year and realized that it wasn't for me. So I switched into something completely different (consulting) and its proven to be a much better fit. I've been working in that field for 3 yrs.

Should I somehow try to highlight why I made the switch in my essays or can I assume that the admissions committee will understand that it was a first job straight out of university that I just didn't like?

Thanks.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:51 pm
Instead of saying you didn't like the job, spin the experience in a positive manner. Give a 'career enhancing' reason for making the jump. For example, you wanted more analytical responsibility or wanted to opportunity to work with diverse industries.

If possible, also spin the experience in relation to your post-MBA goals. For example, if you are interested in marketing post-MBA, sell the jump from HC to MC in terms of your interest in working on marketing/product oriented work.

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep