Is this a good strategy to attack DS questions?

This topic has expert replies
Community Manager
Followed by:3 members
Hi
I was wondering if when you study (not during the test) is a good strategy rather than to look at the two options to answer the question, to write down what do you think you need to answer the problem.
Would this take to much of my time?
Isis Alaska

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:58 pm
It's a good idea to think about this, but you obviously don't want to spend too much time brainstorming - really, you should just always have those thoughts in the back of your head as you do a problem - as you're reading something, you should be thinking, "What does this really mean?"

You should also look at the information given in the question stem and see if you can rearrange or rephrase the information in a more useful way (before you even look at the answer choices). This exercise often then tells you what you need to know in order to solve the problem. For example, if they ask me something about (n^2 - n) where n is an integer, I can rearrange to n(n-1), which is two consecutive integers (n-1, n). That's a very useful piece of information.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me