Please evaluate and advise...

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please evaluate and advise...

by applicant_2009 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:01 am
Hi, I am trying to finalize the schools to which I should apply. My profile is as follows:

-White Male American Citizen, 27 years old (28 at matriculation)
-B.S. Computer Science from liberal arts college (solid reputation) 2.99 GPA
-M.S. Computer Science from large university 3.5 GPA
-750 GMAT (89%Q,95%V)

While in grad school I was a teaching assistant for the duration of my studies. I have close to three years work experience as a Software Engineer for a large telecommunications company in the U.S. Even though I am not a supervisor in title, I have been the lead developer on several high-profile projects for our group. For extracurriculars, I have volunteer experience tutoring underprivileged children, and have participated in Habitat for Humanity. Additionally, I am fairly accomplished in a Martial Art.

Anyway, I would like to shoot for schools in the top-20, but also want to be realistic about where I have a remote shot of being admitted. I know that I can get two solid rec letters, and believe my essays will be very good, as I have been preparing my game plan for several months. Right now I am considering UCLA, Ross, Darden, and Texas. What I would like to know is if these are real possibilities, or if I am fooling myself. It always helps to get outside perspectives, so I would value any input. Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:37 pm
Hi A2009

Thanks for your post.

You have strong credentials and likely a good candidate for the schools mentioned below. However it is hard to gauge your candidacy based on profile/stats, as much of the decision is based on your essays, LORs, interview.

While your UG GPA is low, your high Masters GPA and GMAT score will help offset any concerns. Now just focus on your applications and crafting your story, particularly your post-MBA goals and how the MBA will help you achieve this goal.

Something you already know - make sure you apply in the first round. This year is going to be ultra competitive, so getting your applications in early might give you a slight advantage.

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep