Please evaluate

by nsaran » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:51 am
Undergrad university: top 20 school
GPA: cumulative 3.7, major 3.9/ magna cum laude
Double Major: econ and poli-sci
CFA level 2 candidate
GMAT: 710

First employer:
Healthcare consulting in the US. Worked there for 10 months.

Current job:
--Started off as a personal analyst to a political figure here (outside the US). I researched and analyzed small enterprise development models (SMEs) that different countries employ and critiqued how successful they were...this info went toward developing our fund's business model. In other words, I was involved in setting up a fund that I started working at once it was set up. (hope thats not too confusing)
--So now, I do business counselling at this prestigious economic development fund (under the president) outside the US. I counsel potential small business entrepreneurs from A to Z. I interview, assess the applicants' personality/drive, business plans, develop financials plans (customize loan executions), make recommendations/rejections, present them to a board for funding. I've funded over $10 million worth of projects (the fund has a sizeable amount of money).
--I am happy to say that I just got promoted to Senior Analyst.
--I have been with them for 20 months.

I also do freelance speechwriting for in my free time.

I dont know if this helps, but I"m training to become a certified yoga teacher.

Leadership experience:
--I was involved in several organizations during my undergrad years
--I travel to my home country a couple times a year to do community service. I don't do it through an organization, its pretty informal. Rather, I raise funds here (through friends, family, work), go to my home country and ask the poor what they absolutely need, and then use that money to buy those materials. Again, I don't know how useful this is, but I thought I might as well add it.

I had 2 summer internships and I was a research assistant during my undergraduate years.

Schools I am targeting: Only 1--early decision Columbia

If that doesn't work out, I'll be applying to Northwestern, NYU, Wharton, MIT, HBS, and Georgetown.

Am I aiming too high with Columbia? Has my idealism gotten the best of me? I am just nervous that my work experience is limited (I will have a little over 3 yrs by the time I matriculate).

Also, do business schools not like seeing 3 yrs work experience spread over 3 companies versus just one? (this is not my case but i am curious)

Thank you so much

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nsaran » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:56 am
I forgot to add that I'm female and a minority.

And my reasons for doing an MBA are pretty clear!

Thanks again :0)

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:02 pm
Hi N,

Thanks for your post. You have fantastic credentials and an excellent candidate for the schools mentioned below. Even though CBS is your top choice, I would strongly encourage you to get as many apps in for R1, as this year is going to be ultra competitive for MBA admissions. Even with your strong background, its going to be tough (for everyone), so give yourself an advantage and try to get your apps in early.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep