Age Experience Ratio

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:720

Age Experience Ratio

by volante » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:49 am
Dear Lisa,

I have just received my undergraduate degree in business administration in Germany and started working with one of the major consulting firms. I consider doing a MBA in the US in a couple of years.

My main concern is: I’m 27 and started working last year, which is not uncommon in Germany. Given that the average accepted MBA applicant is 28 and has 4-5 years of working experience, I’m 3 years late.

Do you think this is a problem? Is it a big disadvantage if you are 31 instead of 28 (while having the same professional experience)? Are you compared with people of your own age or rather with the whole applicant pool as long as you are within the normal age range?

I think the rest of my profile would fit the scheme, although I have not yet taken the GMAT.

Thank you!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:59 pm
Dear volante:

You are not late, and admissions folks are familiar with the difference between education systems in the EU versus the US. The main concern of admissions committees is that you have enough professional experience upon entering the program. I would not concern yourself with being 30-32 when you start a program.

Good luck!
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me