Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

essay

by debarshi7 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:13 pm
What should be the optimal length of an essay in the AWA section

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Re: essay

by gabriel » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:12 pm
debarshi7 wrote:What should be the optimal length of an essay in the AWA section
Well, it is quite sometime I have given my GMAT but I seem to remember that the essay had a word limit. If it is true then obviously your essay length has to be within the prescribed limits. If it isnt then you should see what is the length you are most comfortable with, I mean if you go with a very long essay you might not have the time to edit it. A well written essay with about 4-5 paragraphs sounds good.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:29 am
There isn't a word limit - you can type as much as you want within the time limit.

I typically write 4 paragraphs:

1) intro, with thesis, acknowledgement of complexity of the issue, and an introduction of the examples I plan to discuss to support my thesis; usually 4 sentences

2) first (and best*) example; usually 4-5 sentences
-- for arg essay: discuss the flaw and how the flaw might be made better
-- for issue essay: explain example and discuss how this supports my thesis

3) second (and second-best) example
-- (same as paragraph 2)

4) conclusion, re-stating thesis and re-acknowledging complexity of issue, then wrapping up (basically summarizing how my examples supported my thesis); usually 4 sentences

* Note: many of us were taught in school to put the best example last. Don't do that here. If you find yourself low on time, the paragraph that will need to get cut down is paragraph 3 - and you don't want to rush through or minimize your best example. If necessary, it's better to do that with your 2nd best example.

Also, I listed the most common number of sentences per paragraph. These are complex sentences - average length 15-20 words. (Though it's a great idea to mix things up - have one very short sentence when you want to make a strong point; have a semi-colon sentence to show you know how to use complex structures; etc.)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me