How to Improve RC ?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How to Improve RC ?

by 93.santosh » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:48 pm
Hi,
I have improved by leaps and bounds after taking Manhattan's test series.
While I have made significant improvement in SC and Quants, I am left clueless about RC and to a bit CR.

Would u suggest me something ?
I have to write GMAT on 25th Jan,07.

Regards...
Santosh

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:09 pm
Hi,

If you can give me a bit more detail about how you struggle with RC and CR, the kinds of questions you tend to get wrong, I can try to help you here. It's really difficul to talk about how to improve in the entire category. We take 9 weeks in our courses to learn everything there is to know about each question type... so it would take me forever to type it all out here!

I know you take the test in 5 days, so there may not be enough time for you to improve significantly on these. Because CR and RC don't rely on any outside knowledge, it can take longer for people to learn how to deal with these question types.

Some high level tips:
- for CR, find the conclusion. The correct answer to the question almost always relates to or revolves around the conclusion of the argument.
- for RC, find the purpose of the article (not the topc - but the reason why the author is writing about the topic). Correct answers to questions should make sense in the context of the main purpose.
- whenever you get a question wrong, go back and figure out WHY you picked the wrong answer. This is especially critical for CR and RC because there is no "right" answer for these, only the "best" answer. You need to be able to recognize what the test considers "good" and "bad" answers on these.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me