Profile evaluation for older, non-traditional applicant

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
NP,

I was curious about your opinion on age and MBA applications. If you don't mind taking a quick look at my profile, is there anything that comes to mind regarding my circumstances and age, or am I relatively stuck in a disadvantage? Please note, I will not be able to apply until 2009, due to my military service commitment (10+ years for jet pilots)......

30yo Hispanic Male // first in family to attend college (will be 32 at matriculation)

3.2 GPA, US Naval Academy (3.5+ GPA last two years)

4.0 GPA, M.A. in National Security and Strategic Studies from Naval Postgrad School

9 years as a Naval Aviator with plenty of Iraq / Afghansitan experience

Experience leading over 60 enlisted personel on aircraft carriers, with a few leadership awards, air medals and the like

2 years managing a multi-million dollar training contract between a civilian contractor and the military

Currently posted as an exchange fighter pilot to the UK - serving in a combat role with a foreign air force as the sole American pilot at the largest fighter base in that country

Fluent Spanish speaker with lots of EC involvement in school, a bit less in the military, mostly involving the Hispanic community

I have an idea about where I should apply, and I have little doubt I will get over 700 on the GMAT when the time comes, but how much of a handicap will my age be? Aside from a few more trips to Iraq and Kabul, my military career is winding down. In your experience, how much of a pass on age do military fighter pilots get, and will they continue to get them? Anything I can do to mitigate that? Any reccomendations about specific top 10 schools?

I look forward to your reply. -Ron

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:08 am
Hi Ron,
Thanks for your post... and thank you for your military service!!

Sorry for getting back to you late. Military-backgrounds are great candidates for top MBA programs, esp with their leadership experience, and hardworking, team-oriented and disciplined attitude. You have fantastic credentials, so I think you are in great shape! Make sure you shoot for a 700 GMAT to ensure you are competitive for a top program.

I believe most schools have Vet Clubs (extra-curricular club for former military), and I am sure they would be an excellent source of information and advice.

In fact, if you are interested in Wharton, I urge you to get in touch with their Vet Club (great support network) and Professor Michael Useem - who studies military leadership... he is one of the most respected and loved professor on campus. Both are fantastic resources.

Your biggest challenge is defining your post-MBA goals and how the MBA will help you achieve/be successful in your future career. Have you given any thought of what you want to do post-MBA? Once you have made that decision, think about how your previous experience and the MBA will help you become successful in the future.

** Age 'might' be a bit of a concern for schools like Harvard and Stanford (since they are trending downward), but since your service required several years of commitment, I think you should be ok - just make sure to state this somewhere in your essays (likely the optional essay, which gives you to opportunity to add any additional information about your candidacy)

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep