Effect of time and weight on raw score.

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Effect of time and weight on raw score.

by sui generis » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:20 pm
Firstly, I would like to thank both Eric and GMAC for this is new great initiative. It would not only help folks better understand the test but also clear lots of myths and doubts.

I have two questions to ask:

1) Does the test factors the time spent answering a question in the score ? For instance, someone spent quite a long time (say 4-5 min) answering an easy question or someone made a guess and marked the answer in say 5-10 sec. Is the algorithm designed to identify and factor that into the score or it just tracks whether the question is answered correctly ?

2) Are all the three sections in verbal equally weighed or a particular section has more importance than the other ?

Many thanks.

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:39 am
sui generis wrote:Firstly, I would like to thank both Eric and GMAC for this is new great initiative. It would not only help folks better understand the test but also clear lots of myths and doubts.

I have two questions to ask:

1) Does the test factors the time spent answering a question in the score ? For instance, someone spent quite a long time (say 4-5 min) answering an easy question or someone made a guess and marked the answer in say 5-10 sec. Is the algorithm designed to identify and factor that into the score or it just tracks whether the question is answered correctly ?

2) Are all the three sections in verbal equally weighed or a particular section has more importance than the other ?

Many thanks.
Great questions!
1) The test does not factor in time spent answering individual questions when calculating your score.

2) Your score is calculated by the difficulty level of questions answered; no "type" of question (sentence correction, reading comprehension, etc) carries more weight in calculating your score.

I hope that answers your questions!
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!