FastMart, a convenience store chain, is planning to add

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
FastMart, a convenience store chain, is planning to add pancake syrup to the items it sells. FastMart stores do not have shelf space to stock more than one variety of syrup. Surveys of FastMart customers indicate that one-fourth of them prefer low-calorie syrup, while three-fourths prefer regular syrup. Since FastMart's highest priority is to maximize sales, the obvious strategy for it is to stock regular syrup. Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A. People buying pancake syrup at convenience stores, unlike those buying it at supermarkets, generally buy it only a few times.

B. People who prefer low-calorie syrup generally use about the same amount of syrup on their pancakes as those who prefer regular syrup.

C. Regular syrup does not sell for a higher price per unit than low-calorie syrup.

D. In general, customers who prefer regular syrup will buy low-calorie syrup if regular is unavailable, but those who prefer low-calorie will not buy regular syrup.

E. Sales of syrup are not expected to account for a large proportion of total dollar sales at the average FastMart store.

[spoiler]OA: Will be posted later. Please discuss each answer choice in detail[/spoiler]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by galaxian » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:34 pm
<wrong post>

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by galaxian » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:53 pm
Just my take:

A - Irrelevant, as buying syrup 'few times' gives no clear picture of the buyer's preferences.
B - Amount of syrup used too won't affect our assumption above.
C - Regular syrup does not sell for a higher price, but we don't know if 1/4th of higher priced syrup would bring more profit to the store than 3/4th of lower one.
D - This clearly shows, that our assumption above is wrong.The store would have more sales if they keep low-calories as people are ready to change their preference in this case.
E - Total dollar sales are not affected by sales of syrup, no way affects our strategy to select any type of syrup.
Hence D

Plz correct me if I am wrong at any of the points above.
Last edited by galaxian on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sanabk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:38 pm

Legendary Member

by smackmartine » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:55 pm
IMO D
Assumption : People will not change the type of syrup they have been using.

A. People buying pancake syrup at convenience stores, unlike those buying it at supermarkets, generally buy it only a few times. (wrong comparision- out of scope)

B. People who prefer low-calorie syrup generally use about the same amount of syrup on their pancakes as those who prefer regular syrup. (distortion)

C. Regular syrup does not sell for a higher price per unit than low-calorie syrup.(strengthener)

D. In general, customers who prefer regular syrup will buy low-calorie syrup if regular is unavailable, but those who prefer low-calorie will not buy regular syrup. (says people can change their mind. This directly hurts the assumption, hence Correct)

E. Sales of syrup are not expected to account for a large proportion of total dollar sales at the average FastMart store. (does not talk about comparing two types of syrup, but rather talks about syrup in general)
Smack is Back ...
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:28 am
smackmartine wrote:IMO D

A. People buying pancake syrup at convenience stores, unlike those buying it at supermarkets, generally buy it only a few times. (wrong comparision- out of scope)

B. People who prefer low-calorie syrup generally use about the same amount of syrup on their pancakes as those who prefer regular syrup. (distortion)

C. Regular syrup does not sell for a higher price per unit than low-calorie syrup.(strengthener)

D. In general, customers who prefer regular syrup will buy low-calorie syrup if regular is unavailable, but those who prefer low-calorie will not buy regular syrup. (says people can change their mind. This directly hurts the assumption, hence Correct)

E. Sales of syrup are not expected to account for a large proportion of total dollar sales at the average FastMart store. (does not talk about comparing two types of syrup, but rather talks about syrup in general)
I was between B and D but I feel that option D leaves open a possibility which can be true or not.......please correct me.......

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by madddie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:28 pm
aspirant2011 wrote:

I was between B and D but I feel that option D leaves open a possibility which can be true or not.......please correct me.......

B wont help you.........
Already it is mentioned that 3/4th prefer regular and 1/4th prefer low-cal
If 1/4th use same amount (say 1 bottle per month) as the 3/4th crowd.....then in fact the option strengthens the claim made by the author......

Followed by:2 members

by Sanjay2706 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:59 pm
IMO D.
It mentions that even if the chain stocks regular syrup, the people preferring low calorie soup would not go for regular soup, which weakens the argument.

Legendary Member

by smackmartine » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:19 am
aspirant2011 wrote:

Author states that 3/4 (More than 50%) people prefer to buy regular syrup.
Option D states that out of these 75% people some people may buy low calorie syrup. This means there is still a scope of low-calorie syrup being sold. Its not true the other way round. While the word in green means uncertainty for some individual, it still stands good for others, who will buy low-calorie syrup ,and thus, increase the # of sales of low-calorie syrup.
Smack is Back ...
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:23 am
thanks a lot guys, yup the OA is D :-)

by Needgmat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:28 am
Hello Experts ,

Can you please explain why B is wrong?

Many thanks in advance.

Kavin

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:36 am
Needgmat wrote:Hello Experts ,

Can you please explain why B is wrong?

Many thanks in advance.

Kavin
We're trying to weaken the conclusion that FastMart should stock its shelves with regular syrup. B tells us this: People who prefer low-calorie syrup generally use about the same amount of syrup on their pancakes as those who prefer regular syrup. This doesn't matter because 75% of the FastMart's customers prefer the regular syrup. Imagine four people, A, B, C, and D. A, B, and C prefer regular syrup. D prefers low calorie. Though they all use the same amount of syrup, it still seems to make sense to stock the regular variety.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by Needgmat » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:41 pm
We're trying to weaken the conclusion that FastMart should stock its shelves with regular syrup. B tells us this: People who prefer low-calorie syrup generally use about the same amount of syrup on their pancakes as those who prefer regular syrup. This doesn't matter because 75% of the FastMart's customers prefer the regular syrup. Imagine four people, A, B, C, and D. A, B, and C prefer regular syrup. D prefers low calorie. Though they all use the same amount of syrup, it still seems to make sense to stock the regular variety.
Hi DavidG ,

Thanks for your explanation.

All clear.

Thanks,

Kavin