Completed my TOEFL

You just Beat The TOEFL/IELTS/Cambridge/PTE!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Completed my TOEFL

by singhmanj » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:39 pm
Hi All,

Taking cue from this forum and little bit help from ETS TOEFL guide, I have scored 101 recently. Break up is as follows;

Reading: 27
Listening: 23
Speaking: 25
Writing: 26

This has been possible with the help of ETS guide and two mock tests, which I got along with ETS guide. I basically used these resources to understand the format. Once you are comfortable with the format, rest is cake walk. I also used these two tests to record my voice in my mobile and hear them again and again to understand how I could improve my response in given 45 to 60 seconds, which is reflecting in my score.

On the actual test, Reading was slightly tougher than ETS mock tests and examples given in guide. Toughness was only on account of time. Quite lengthy passages were given.

In case of listening section, where I got less score comparatively, one has to practice to notice the gist and tone while listening the lectures or talks between two people in university setting.Understanding tone, gist, content and general attitude of speakers precisely helps a lot. I failed a bit in this only because of lack of practice. I notice that its important to focus on gist, content, tone and general attitude rather then on figures or narration being discussed.

In case of speaking, as I mentioned above, practice recording your own voice and response within 45-60 seconds depending on task given. Nothing more is required. Time flies very fast. So practice, practice and practice.

In case of writing, out of the two passages, first one is easier as if you listen the counter argument careful(invariably it is counter argument), you can write very well. The given passage/essay is in front of you always therefore, you can not go wrong on points given in passage. After noticing the argument given in written passage (make notes on scratch pad), you should carefully make notes of counter argument being narrated by the speaker. The question asks you to write those arguments. The lecture is never repeated. Therefore, listing it carefully is the key.

The second part i.e. writing essay on the basis on argument given, is as difficult as it is in GMAT AWA as you have to focus on grammar, organisation, quality and accuracy of language and also the argument. Till the time I talked to my wife about my understanding about this argument, I wasn't sure if I had written a good essay or not but it seems I wrote reasonably well.

Although I am not very happy with the score of 101 as I thought I could get 110 easily, considering the time spent by me (only 2-3 days), this score is acceptable. It could have been better, had the score of listening section been 25 or more.

One final note: In reading section, you can move between questions i.e. you can review your previous answers and change them passage to passage but be very careful because if you spend too much time in reviewing your previous answers, you might end up spending too much time on individual passage. Reading section is slightly longer therefore time management is required. Most importantly, do not assume too much while reading passage as it is fairly straight forward in comparison to GMAT RC. Couple of inference questions might be there but those are also quite straight forward. Therefore, please do not fall into GMAT RC type trap. Take it easy in case of TOEFL.

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:36 pm
Hey still a good score! Congrats! :)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by 1988sonya » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:28 am
You are describe about of TOEFL. Its a very strongly describe with easy word about of preparation.