Profile evaluation - (Indian male 740 gmat)

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Here is my profile:
1) Accenture- 6 months full time intern. Later joined same project as a software tester. Did lots of value creation, created tools for process improvement and later became Automation POC for a team of 16. Created white paper on cost efficiencies and security implementation by communications industry. Got promoted in 1 year (shortest possible time). Current role requires gathering process automation requirements, doing feasibility study and implementing the same.
(Will have 3 years full time workex by August 2016, when I intend to start mba. I plan to apply during this Sep '15-R1)
2) GMAT 2nd attempt: 740 (97% ile)-Q50 (~90% ile), V40 (~90% ile), AWA 4, IR 3.5. 1st attempt: 640(V28, Q49)
3). BTech -Computer Science (Jaypee Institute) - above average college (ranked after IITs, NITs,BITS pilani, Delhi College of Engg and VIT) CGPA 6.3/10 - mentioned as 70% in institute conversion table in transcript.
(Low score partly attributable to chickenpox and mother's cancer treatment).
4). Founder of a social group since 4 years. We have organized cloth and book donation campaigns sporadically across India and spread awareness through education in slum communities.
Co-Founded a technology enabled startup in supply chain distribution 1.5 years ago. Have clocked a turnover of about INR10 million, yet to breakeven.
Managed the campus ambassador program of letmeknow.in . Created and led a team of 60 campus ambassadors (online-remotely, part time)

Went for a 15 day train journey (Jagriti Yatra) to do case studies of enterprises across India. Also, did a pilot project on health care van in rural India. Stayed there for a fortnight for the same.

6) Want to pursue my supply chain startup full-time. Long term goal is to make it global.

Please evaluate my profile for Yale. Also, Columbia, NYU stern, Stanford, London business School, INSEAD, Cambridge. What others should I target?

Thanks!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by AdmitPitch » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:10 pm
Hi Sam:

Thanks for sharing the profile.

Academics and test scores:

Firstly on GMAT, congrats! You score of 740 is competitive for most of the b-schools. This definelty helps in choosing programs with lot of confidence.

Second, on the academics, 70% is average score. The personal story might convey the reasons for the low scores but you need to support with scores in other semesters. There is little you can do to change these numbers. However, in the application do focus on the strengths in terms of the scores in complex courses, initiatives and engagements during the college, various papers/projects you have initiated and internships you have done with Accenture.

Work Experience and Strategy:

Good to know that you have chosen a area of specialization, Supply Chain and have grown in that space. The startup experience does add value. Not many people from start-up background do apply from India. From an AdCom perspective this would be a welcome profile. You have experience of working in large firm and wearing the hat of a entrepreneur. Was the start-up run in parallel to the experience at Accenture? Clarity of career goals is very important. You need to stress on the reasons why Supply chain, the skills you possess and how this would connect to the career goals. At Accenture, If you worked with large clients and if time you have stretched yourself to try your hands, these experiences would add to your advantage. This is a definelty a big plus and can work in your favor provided you can highlight the learning's and challenges you have overcome.

Recommendations:

You should try to get recommendations from someone who knows you well rather go for titles. It would be a good idea to get reco from one of the other founders from your start-up.

Career goals and schools:

I would recommend to shortlist the schools, which align with your career goals. Do list down what you want to achieve in the MBA program - what you want to accomplish at the school and the skills you need to develop. For example you mentioned Insead - did you worked in atleast couple of countries for few months each, if yes you can consider applying to Insead. Also with 3 years of work ex, Insead would be a stretch. It is important to select schools which help you to reach to your goals.

I would encourage you to apply in round 1 of next academic year to improve your chances of admission and aim for a scholarship. You can use the time to craft your career goals to detail out all the aspects of the profile: goals, listing on the skills you have and need to develop and reasons for why MBA.

Extra Information:

The experiences you shared does add value provided you focus on the personal journey and how it shaped you to be come to be a better person.
Admit Pitch,
MBA Admission Consultants
https://www.admitpitch.com/
US | UK | China | India
Schedule a 60 minute free assessment, send your resume at [email protected]
We do offer flexi-payment options

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by samsmart0998 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:19 pm
Thanks for your inputs!
Yes the startup work is done parallely along with fulltime Accenture work.
Can you please provide inputs on my candidature on other colleges I mentioned above along with MIT Sloan?

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by AdmitPitch » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:37 pm
Hi Sam:

You can apply to MIT-Sloan as a dream school. I would suggest work on the career goals and focus on the fit. Demonstrate the unique skills you have developed over period of time, how the class at Sloan will benefit from your rich experience. Once you have worked on the strengths and clear career goals, do apply in R1 to give your best shot.
Admit Pitch,
MBA Admission Consultants
https://www.admitpitch.com/
US | UK | China | India
Schedule a 60 minute free assessment, send your resume at [email protected]
We do offer flexi-payment options