by 22suraj » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:23 am
Dear Clear Admit Team ,

Brief information of my profile :
->Male 24 yr old Indian
->Converted Bachelor of Engineering in Computer (BE) GPA : 3.5/4
->GMAT Score : 700 (Quant 49 Verbal 36) AWA : 5.5 IR : 6
->Work experience by the time I join LBS if selected : 3 years
->Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) : 2 years as Assistant System Engineer
Delivered the European Market Infrastructure Regulation ( EMIR ) project for a major European bank and received appreciation for the same.
->Dewan Housing Finance Limited (DHFL) : 1 year as Deputy Manager - Credit in Project Finance
Handling wholesale lending for deals in excess of $3m.
->Certifications for NGO work.

So I would like to know if I stand a choice in getting shortlisted for LBS and other top 20 US B-schools taking into consideration I end putting up decent application essays ?
In addition could you please guide me as to how to go about my application process and in which areas to put more of an effort into.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Kind Regards,
Suraj

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:20 pm
Hello Suraj,

Thank you for your post!
As you consider applying for an MBA, there will be a few things to consider.

First, as an Indian national with a degree from an Indian institution, you come from an oversubscribed pool of applicants. Many of your fellow country men and women with similar academic histories (if not professional experiences) are also targeting top programs, and that makes it even more difficult to truly stand out or differentiate yourself. This would make your GMAT score and GPA even more important factor in your candidacy. The adcom may be particularly concerned with your English language skills, considering that your Verbal raw score falls below 80%. The standards are simply higher, given the scale of the applicant pool from India; so, scoring higher on the GMAT would certainly help your chances. Moreover, engineers stereotypically lack interpersonal and leadership skills; you will need to show that these stereotypes do not apply to you by emphasizing your ability to communicate and persuade in the workplace as well as highlight your leadership, teamwork and interpersonal skills. Based on the information you've shared, it's hard to assess your leadership experience. You may want to consider how these skills come into play with your NGO work as well.

Given your interest in LBS, international experience should be a hallmark of your application. While you delivered a project for a "major European bank," without further detail, it's hard to tell how extensive your international exposure has been. LBS does have a more generous range of work experience (the average being 5.5 years), so you may want to postpone a year to try to build up your international exposure. You could also use the time to build out the extracurricular elements of your candidacy. Engaging your community, pursuing a longstanding interest and simply showcasing your other passions outside of work could help you show the adcom what kind of community member you would be on campus.

In terms of proceeding with the application process, I recommend defining your career goals and why you need an MBA. This could help you determine other programs to target for your MBA. Based on my comments above, you could be more competitive by acquiring international and leadership experience, and increasing your GMAT score. I hope this helps-if you'd like to discuss your candidacy further, please contact us directly at clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/.
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.