VERY weak academic background.

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

VERY weak academic background.

by RichardUSofA » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:48 pm
Hi all, new member here. I'd like to attend NYU part-time MBA. My GMAT score is 700. I have 4-year work experience in business development at a home healthcare agency. I also have a Masters - the real problem is that its in Liberal Arts, albeit a 3.9. I have absolutely no background in finance or economics. Do i stand a chance to get in?
(perhaps if i were to go back to college to take a course in finance that would make a difference?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:10 am
Hi Richard,
I don't see your profile as "weak" academically at all, unless your undergraduate GPA is low (you only mention your Masters) or your undergraduate institution is considered too light-weight. Actually, lots of successful applicants to top MBA programs have liberal arts backgrounds -- business schools appreciate the diversity of perspective you bring to the program.

The challenge will be to show that you have, or are working on building, the quant competence to keep up with your classmates. If your GMAT is unbalanced (i.e. low quant, high verbal), you'll want to address that in practice by taking coursework immediately to build up your skills, starting with calculus and statistics. Courses in finance could also be added, but if you have a low quant GMAT, take the quant fundamentals first. You can use online courses such as UCLA's highly regarded business extension classes, or take classes locally, whatever works best for you.

You will also want to define very clear post-MBA goals, so that the schools you apply to can really see that you know why you're taking this step now.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me