Very Low GPA. Please help

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Very Low GPA. Please help

by Skippy13 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:36 pm
MY GPA is around a 2.0 and I need to know if I should just give up

. I attended University in the U.K and did a 3 year business degree. My first and second year results were average and my third year results were awful. I got sick...anxiety and depression as a result of a long stay in hospital. Third year counted for 75% of my degree...so performing poorly then really hurt me.

Apart from that year, my time at university was good. Lots of sports and EC's. along with a good internship internationally.

Since graduating, I founded my own business. We've been operating for one year and currently employ three people (with many more subcontractors). Focused on the oil and gas market, we offer people, consulting services, and investment capital.

I work internationally, currently living in Singapore. I have good EC's, very active in sports etc. Ive also done extensive charity work.

GMAT is 700. Schools I am looking at are ASU, Rice, Vanderbilt, Kelley, UNC, UT@Austin, Georgetown.

I plan to work for another two years before applying.

Do I have any chance? Or is my undergrad GPA going to hold me back completely.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:48 am
Skippy13,

Thanks for your note. Yes, your 2.0 college gpa will be a significant hurdle at top schools. However, there are a few things you can do in order to mitigate this issue.

1) Build a 4.0 gpa alternative transcript. Over the next year, you should take 2-4 business foundations courses (calculus, accounting, statistics and economics) and get an A in each course. This way you will have a 4.0 gpa to help offset the earlier 2.0 gpa. You can either take courses at a local university or take online courses.

2) Continue working. By working a few more years, you will put some distance between you and your college grades. It will be very important to show that you have been successful in your career.

If you do these two things, then you would have a chance of admission at the schools you mentioned: ASU, Rice, Vanderbilt, Kelley, UNC, UT@Austin, Georgetown. Obviously you would also need to compile a very strong application that shows your great fit with these programs.

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.