Veritas - Most Increase SD

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member

Veritas - Most Increase SD

by nikhilgmat31 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:08 pm
For the set {2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, x}, which of the following values of x will most
increase the standard deviation?
(A) 1
(B) 2
(C) 3
(D) 4
(E) 5

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:45 am
nikhilgmat31 wrote:For the set {2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, x}, which of the following values of x will most
(A) 1
(B) 2
(C) 3
(D) 4
(E) 5
For any set SYMMETRICAL about the median, mean = median.
Since the values in red are symmetrical about the median of 3.5, the mean of the values in red = the median of the values in red = 3.5.
To increase the SD -- to increase how much the data points DEVIATE from the mean -- the value of x must be AS FAR AS POSSIBLE from the mean of 3.5.
Of the 5 answer choices, A is farthest from 3.5.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:10 am
For the set {2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, x}, which of the following values of x will most
(A) 1
(B) 2
(C) 3
(D) 4
(E) 5
For the purposes of the GMAT, we need not involve the actual standard deviation. Instead, it's sufficient to think of Standard Deviation as the Average Distance from the Mean. This is a convenient way to handle most standard deviation questions on the GMAT.

In this case, the mean = 3.5
When we check the answer choices, answer choice A is furthest from the mean (3.5).
So, A is the correct answer.

Here are two free videos that cover everything you need to know about standard deviation on the GMAT:
- https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... ics?id=806
- https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... ics?id=809

Here are a few more practice questions where we can apply the concept of "average distance from the mean" as an approximation for Standard Deviation:
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/standard-dev ... 74384.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/standard-dev ... 69584.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/range-and-sd-t89159.html

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:35 am
Hi nikhilgmat31,

The GMAT will never ask you to actually calculate a Standard Deviation; instead, you're expected to understand the general concepts behind the subject (and you'll be asked a question - likely just 1 on Test Day - about that general knowledge). In real basic terms, SD is about how 'spread out' a group of numbers is. The 'closer' the numbers are together, the smaller the SD; the 'further apart' the numbers are, the higher the SD.

From this group of numbers, you should see (rather quickly) that there are 2 of each integer and 1 unknown. The question asks for the value of that unknown that will MOST increase the SD of the group. Mitch and Brent have both properly explained how to get to the correct answer, so I won't rehash that work here. Instead, here's how you can eliminate answer choices for NOT creating the highest SD.

With the 8 integer values that we're given, the average is 3.5 (the values 'balance' around that number). Including another 3 or another 4 would have the SAME effect on the SD (they would both introduce a value that is the SAME 'distance' from the average), so neither of those answers could create the highest SD (the net result would be the SAME). That same pattern occurs when we consider including another 2 or another 5 - each of those values is the SAME distance from the average, so each of their impacts on the SD would be the SAME. Thus, neither of those could create the highest SD.

There's only one answer remaining...

Final Answer: A

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member

by nikhilgmat31 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:01 pm
Thanks Mitch, Brent & Rich for helping me to solve this question.

Now I got the concept. Thumb Rule is not to solve for SD in GMAT :)