Veritas CAT vs. actual GMAT

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mrpapiou » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:28 am
Thanks a lot for your response.

My question though was very specific and still remains unanswered. I would appreciate one of the experts answering. Is V44 possible with 16 wrong answers? (either yes or no).

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:41 pm
mrpapiou -

My response was not to your posting. I actually did not see your posting - I was responding to dominhtri1995.

mrpapiou -

I was able to find your actual exam in the computer so I do not need to speculate I can tell you exactly what happened, and I will do so in a moment...

First while I looked for your exam in the computer using just what you told me (750 Q49 V44)I did find several 750 scores (with a 49Q and 44V) within the past week. I looked into five exams (aside from yours) with that breakdown and the 5 tests had the following number incorrect on the verbal 10, 12, 13, 12, and 11. So it would seem that 16 would be a little too high to fit within that group. I can explain why it does in a moment.

You will notice that from 10 - 13 incorrect answers is a higher number than would correspond to a V44 on other exams. This is because the Veritas exam adapts to you starting with the first question. So the difficulty level goes up quickly and you can miss more questions that you could to earn the same score on another exam.

Looking at your particular exam I can say that you started off quite strong missing only 1 question out of the first 10. The computer kept giving you harder questions until at question 10 you were at the 99th percentile. And actually well into the 99th percentile.

As you progress through the test you essentially missed 15 of the next 31 questions. Your score went up and down a little and the 44 that you ended with (97th percentile) was actually the second lowest estimated ability that you had throughout the test. After question 17 you were a little lower maybe a 96th percentile.

So that is why you scored what you did. It is unusual to miss that many and get that score and on the actual exam you would need to get something more like fewer than 10 wrong to get that score. By the way I would not say that there is something wrong with the Veritas algorithm it is just more adaptive!

When you do take the actual exam please do let us know what your score is so that we can continue to validate the results.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by mrpapiou » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:25 pm
David:

Thank you very much. Your explanation makes perfect sense.

Will certainly keep you posted with regards to my score on the real test. Need to finish my remaining 5 Veritas practice tests though.

Thanks.
Dimitris

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:28 pm
mrpapiou wrote:David:

Thank you very much. Your explanation makes perfect sense.

Will certainly keep you posted with regards to my score on the real test. Need to finish my remaining 5 Veritas practice tests though.

Thanks.
Dimitris
This discussion highlights an easily understood, but often forgotten reality of the GMAT. # of questions right/wrong can be a VERY misleading figure. Two people could get the same number of questions right/wrong and wind up with two VERY different scores.

Just an important reminder.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

by Rajesh Jha » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:19 pm
In the past 4 mock tests on veritas I have got scores of 730,730,700,740.I have consistently got 49-48 in qa. In the last test I got 48 in qa with 11 correct(I can certainly touch 50 I believe) and a 44 in va with 8 incorrect answers. 5 were from sentence correction. Every time I get 5-6 questions incorrect in sc. This has made me kind of under confident of my verbal score in actual GMAT as I believe rc n cr can ditch u any day. I have my GMAT on 11th.Any last minute practical advise will be appreciated

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:59 pm
Rajesh:

Two articles here from my dear friend Stacey that you may find helpful in the run up to the end of your study period.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... an-part-1/
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ew-part-2/

Good luck!

-Brian
Rajesh Jha wrote:In the past 4 mock tests on veritas I have got scores of 730,730,700,740.I have consistently got 49-48 in qa. In the last test I got 48 in qa with 11 correct(I can certainly touch 50 I believe) and a 44 in va with 8 incorrect answers. 5 were from sentence correction. Every time I get 5-6 questions incorrect in sc. This has made me kind of under confident of my verbal score in actual GMAT as I believe rc n cr can ditch u any day. I have my GMAT on 11th.Any last minute practical advise will be appreciated

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

by MulanQ » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:20 pm
I have just finished Veritas CAT and score 680 (Q47,V36). This is my 1st mock test ever after 1.5 months study, following the BTG 60-day schedule. And I did not review any theory before taking the test. Hence, the score really surprised me as I thought (during the test) that I would get way below 600, having so many incorrect/guessing answers for quant. Of course the 680 is a very motivated score since I believe I only performed 60-70% my ability, but I dont want to be over confident.

Could someone tell me how hard/accurate is the Veritas CAT compared to the real test? Thanks.

MulanQ

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:49 pm
Congrats on a great practice test score!

With that said, you never want to trust a single practice test score. It would be a great idea to take the GMATPrep official practice test @ MBA.com as well. If you get a similar score on that exam then you will know that you are in this range of scores.

Think about what held you back from giving 100% of your ability and try to give 100-percent on the GMAT Prep practice test.

As for how your Veritas score might compare to actual test day, some people score a little higher on the real thing and some a little lower and of course some score very close to the same result. That is why it is a good idea to take another exam as well so that you can see which group you might fall into.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by abduabd » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:44 am
I took the Veritas practice CAT yesterday, with minimal studying and got a 700 (Q45, V41). The breakdown was 68% correct answers in the Quant section and 63% correct answers in the Verbal.

Is this reasonable? What can I read into this as a level of my preparedness for the actual exam, which I plan to take in April?

Thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:29 am
abduabd wrote:I took the Veritas practice CAT yesterday, with minimal studying and got a 700 (Q45, V41). The breakdown was 68% correct answers in the Quant section and 63% correct answers in the Verbal.

Is this reasonable? What can I read into this as a level of my preparedness for the actual exam, which I plan to take in April?

Thanks.
It's hard to say, since the actual exam won't tell you how many questions you got wrong. The best comparison is the GMATPrep software from mba.com; if you're worried, try one of their (free) exams, and see how closely it corresponds to your VP exam. (It should be fairly close. In my experience, their questions are a little simpler, but you're penalized more for missing them.)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:05 am
abduabd wrote:I took the Veritas practice CAT yesterday, with minimal studying and got a 700 (Q45, V41). The breakdown was 68% correct answers in the Quant section and 63% correct answers in the Verbal.

Thanks.
I think what you can reasonably take from this is that you've got a strong foundation when it comes to the GMAT and, with little preparation, were able to get a score that many others would gladly take!! So -- good work. Now, the real question for you will be "How high do I think I could get and what will it take to get there?"

Even though your initial score was very high -- I'd suggest taking a look at this article from my friend Stacey. https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ould-i-do/ I think it will help you figure out where to go / focus / concentrate given your starting point.

Great work so far.

Best,

-Brian

by abduabd » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:47 am

Thanks.
I am following the BEATtheGMAT 60-day Study Guide and just took the first OG practice test. I scored a 610 (Q41, V34). It is much lower than my score on the Veritas practice CAT I took last weekend. While I feel like I was more prepared for this test than I was for the Veritas one-I felt way more confident as I was answering the problems- getting a lower score for my level of prep, somehow, feels more "right" to me. On the Veritas CAT, I wrote the essay and made an honest attempt at the IR section.

For the OG practice test 1, per the 60-day Study Guide, I skipped the essay and filled in randomly-selected responses for the IR section; I didn't even read any of the problems. This would suggest that my 610 score is actually inflated!

Over the course of the next couple of months, I will be taking practice tests from Princeton Review, Kaplan, Manhattan GMAT and The Economist. Although my level of preparation will be different each time, it will be interesting to see how my scores on each compare.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:39 pm
What was the score you got on the Veritas test? How big of a difference is a 'much lower' score?

Also, please note that essay and IR sections DO NOT factor into your 200-800 score, so they would have had no impact on a perception of an 'inflated' 610.

Best of luck!!

-Brian
abduabd wrote:I am following the BEATtheGMAT 60-day Study Guide and just took the first OG practice test. I scored a 610 (Q41, V34). It is much lower than my score on the Veritas practice CAT I took last weekend. While I feel like I was more prepared for this test than I was for the Veritas one-I felt way more confident as I was answering the problems- getting a lower score for my level of prep, somehow, feels more "right" to me. On the Veritas CAT, I wrote the essay and made an honest attempt at the IR section.

For the OG practice test 1, per the 60-day Study Guide, I skipped the essay and filled in randomly-selected responses for the IR section; I didn't even read any of the problems. This would suggest that my 610 score is actually inflated!

Over the course of the next couple of months, I will be taking practice tests from Princeton Review, Kaplan, Manhattan GMAT and The Economist. Although my level of preparation will be different each time, it will be interesting to see how my scores on each compare.

by abduabd » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:49 pm
Hello Brian,

I got a 700 on the Veritas. Maybe I should clarify what I meant by "inflated". Because I didn't really do the essay or go through the motions of critically looking at the IR section, I didn't experience the same level of mental fatigue, coming into the quant secion, that I did when I took the Veritas practice test.
brianlange77 wrote:What was the score you got on the Veritas test? How big of a difference is a 'much lower' score?

Also, please note that essay and IR sections DO NOT factor into your 200-800 score, so they would have had no impact on a perception of an 'inflated' 610.

Best of luck!!

-Brian
abduabd wrote:I am following the BEATtheGMAT 60-day Study Guide and just took the first OG practice test. I scored a 610 (Q41, V34). It is much lower than my score on the Veritas practice CAT I took last weekend. While I feel like I was more prepared for this test than I was for the Veritas one-I felt way more confident as I was answering the problems- getting a lower score for my level of prep, somehow, feels more "right" to me. On the Veritas CAT, I wrote the essay and made an honest attempt at the IR section.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:20 pm
Of course re: inflated. Totally makes sense. We've always recommended that folks should do the 'whole thing' as practice once -- preferably within a week/2 weeks of when you plan to sit for the actual exam. That way, you 'know what it's like' to go for the full-thing. Are you nervous about mental fatigue?