Veritas CAT vs. actual GMAT

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:55 am
As I have mentioned before the different tests score differently.

Those numbers would be different for the Official GMAT, as you say. Please take all of these unofficial tests as an opportunity to practice on things like endurance and taking the test on the computer.

I would say it is time for you to retake the GMATPrep exam 1!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by vomhorizon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:14 am
David@VeritasPrep wrote:The Veritas Prep Simulator test has more difficult questions than those on the official test - on average.

Our research shows that the average quant score on the prep simulator is lower than the corresponding score would be on the GMAT test. So your score would likely be above a 43. I cannot say how much higher.

Remember that these tests do give you an idea of where you are and do help you to know what you need to work on. But of course the Official GMATPrep Test will give a better idea of a score. Or if you have used all of those then the GMAT Focus from GMAC is an option. That is only quant and it does cost $25 for a test of 24 questions (or $65 for three such tests). The GMAT Focus does give you a reliable scoring range at the end of the test. And I would say that the questions on the GMAT Focus are a little "newer" and a little tougher than on the GMATPrep Test.

Good luck!

David
Hi David,

Are the statistics still valid? I took the first Veritas prep CAT today and scored a Q47, V40 (710) , This is pretty much in between my 2 gmat prep scores but is a full 50 points higher then the MGMAT score of 650 which i took last week.
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:24 am
MGMAT tests score pretty tough. Our tests can vary depending on the subjects that are seen more frequently on that particular test and whether the test taker is very good at those. Something like probability can be over sampled, for example.

I would say based on the group of scores that you have you could well score 700 or even higher on test day. You can take those GMATPrep tests again so that will give you another indication.

Is your test scheduled soon? It seems like you might be ready to get in there!

David

Veritas Prep Reviews

by vomhorizon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:34 am
Is your test scheduled soon? I
I have not scheduled the test yet but intend on taking it around the 20th of feb. The center i am taking it at is not busy and i can schedule it around 10 days before the due date. I still have issues to sort out in quant (Inequalities, DS - testing cases, Geometry etc) and have some practice left for verbal (have not touched OG Verbal yet, plus have the Veritas Prep RC book that i have not touched). I would also like to practice I believe that with practice and some time devotion on verbal i can add 2-3 points there. MGMAT Quant really threw me off and i believe that it has given me some good take away's and found weaknesses that i did not know existed so i am working those out at the moment. Took the veritas prep cat as i had access to it and wanted to see how i score as i was told it is less brutal in quant.
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

by vomhorizon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:37 am
vomhorizon wrote:
I have not scheduled the test yet but intend on taking it around the 20th of feb. The center i am taking it at is not busy and i can schedule it around 10 days before the due date. I still have issues to sort out in quant (Inequalities, DS - testing cases, Geometry etc) and have some practice left for verbal (have not touched OG Verbal yet, plus have the Veritas Prep RC book that i have not touched). I would also like to practice with GMAT Focus and Gmat QP.. I believe that with practice and some time devotion on verbal i can add 2-3 points there. MGMAT Quant really threw me off and i believe that it has given me some good take away's and found weaknesses that i did not know existed so i am working those out at the moment. Took the veritas prep cat as i had access to it and wanted to see how i score as i was told it is less brutal in quant.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:37 am
vomhorizon wrote:
I have not scheduled the test yet but intend on taking it around the 20th of feb. The center i am taking it at is not busy and i can schedule it around 10 days before the due date. I still have issues to sort out in quant (Inequalities, DS - testing cases, Geometry etc) and have some practice left for verbal (have not touched OG Verbal yet, plus have the Veritas Prep RC book that i have not touched). I would also like to practice I believe that with practice and some time devotion on verbal i can add 2-3 points there. MGMAT Quant really threw me off and i believe that it has given me some good take away's and found weaknesses that i did not know existed so i am working those out at the moment. Took the veritas prep cat as i had access to it and wanted to see how i score as i was told it is less brutal in quant.
Vom,

I can't recall if I've sent you these links before -- but as you approach the last two-three weeks or so, thought you may find them helpful to really prepare and lock in on a specific plan to get you to the test.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... an-part-1/
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ew-part-2/

Hope you find them helpful.

Best,

Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:640

by sachindia » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:01 am
hi brian and david
Do we need to remember the GMAT codes of 5 schools to which we want to send the scores or do we need to select the names from the drop down ?

Are we given limited scratch papers or can we ask for as many as we need. .
Regards,
Sach

by vomhorizon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:20 am
Thanks brian those were very helpful.

@ David, I was given the Veritas Link with my book purchase. The link for the CAT's takes me to CAT Prep/veritas prep .. Are these the CAT's that VP offers? Just wanted to make sure that we are referring to the same CAT's...

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:56 pm
sachindia wrote:hi brian and david
Do we need to remember the GMAT codes of 5 schools to which we want to send the scores or do we need to select the names from the drop down ?

Are we given limited scratch papers or can we ask for as many as we need. .
Sachinda:

Good questions.

1. You do not need to memorize code -- the system allows you to navigate to find the schools you want to submit to (as part of the 'pre-test' process.)

2. You can ask for as many as you need -- just know that when you ask 'during' the test, the clock keeps on running.

Hope this helps.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:19 pm
vom -

Yes those are the tests that I am speaking of...Glad to here that you have the test date in mind.

Veritas Prep Reviews

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:21 pm
sachinda -

You are only given one packet of laminated sheets at a time. When you have nearly filled that one raise your hand and they will exchange it for you.

David

Veritas Prep Reviews

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mrpapiou » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:28 pm
Hi guys,

I recently took the Veritas practice test and I scored 750 Q49/ V44.

However, I got 12 questions wrong in the quant section and 16 questions wrong in the verbal section.

Is this normal or is there an issue with the scoring algorithm? V44 with 16 questions wrong does not sound reasonable to me.

I would very much appreciate a response.

Thanks.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mrpapiou » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:15 pm
Veritas team:

Please don't take my previous post the wrong way. I have just been surprised with me scoring 750 Q49/ V44 considering the number of mistakes (12 in quant and 16 in verbal). Of course the score is very encouraging and has boost my confidence a lot considering also that i plan to sit for the exam in the end of Feb. I also admit that i consider the difficulty of the test moderate to easy compared to that of other practice tests.

That said, i have tried pretty much every practice test that is out there including Official GMAT PREP, MGMAT, Kaplan, Knewton, Gmat club tests, Princeton review tests, and GMATPill and i have never ever scored 44 in the verbal section with 16 wrong answers (not even close actually). My logic says that if i score 44 in the verbal section with 16 mistakes then the score of a student who makes half (or fewer) the mistakes i did would not reflect his true potential / ability /superiority you name it..

Looking forward to your response.

Thank you.
Dimitris

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by dominhtri1995 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:14 am
Hi,
Following is my CATs. You can check it out
Manhattan ( 660-690) Q46 -49; V 33-35
Veritas free CAT 750 ( Q50; V 43)
GMAT Prep CAT 1 660 ( Q 50; V 29)
GMAT Prep CAT 2 720 ( Q 50 ; V 38)
Official GMAT 640 ( Q 50 ; V 26 )

Here you see. The CAT is just an indicator of what the real GMAT is. I can't tell that these CATS are not good. But You don't need to bother too much about the CAT. My actual GMAT score is below my lowest CAT :(

That was a horrible moment when 640 appeared on the screen but it's it. No question. Just try to do your best on the test day. All the CATs are not that important.

Regard,

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:21 am
I can "hear" the disappointment in your voice. Clearly that is not the score that you hoped to see.

You practice test scores show that you have the ability to do this. You just need to figure out what was different on test day compared to most of your practice tests.

You can start by looking at your two GMATPrep exams. Even the difference between your two GMATPrep scores is pretty wide. 660 and 720. A 660 is the 80th percentile. A 720 is the 94th percentile. What did you do differently between those two exams? Where they at different times of day? Where you equally rested? etc.

By identifying what you did differently on these two GMATPrep practice exams you could perhaps get some insight into test day. After all 660 and 640 are within the same 30 point scoring band mentioned by GMAC.

Your quant has stayed at 50 right throughout. The verbal is what varies widely. What makes the difference for you on verbal? That is what you need to figure out.

Veritas Prep Reviews