Verbal - test trend

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Verbal - test trend

by gmatlbs2015 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:33 am
hi ,

Please suggest how to improve on verbal.
My scores from last three test are -
GMAT Prep1 - 640 (Q49 , V28)
GMAT Prep2 - 600 (Q46 , V23)
MGMAT - 630 (Q46 , V31).

MGMAT Exam review as per difficulty level -
"700-800" Score(Correct/Total) - 4/15 (1 SC , 3 CR )
"600-700" Score(Correct/Total) - 8/15 (4 SC , 2 CR&RC)
"300-600" Score(Correct/Total) - 10/11.
When i solved the wrong questions after the tests most of them were correct in CR and SC.

Verbal is my weak area and as it the last section , it is adding to my woes.
In all the three test , i rushed through the last 10 questions.

Please suggest how to improve my test-skill.
Is there any source where questions are classified as per difficulty?

thanks and regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:55 am
Hi gmatlbs2015,

The Verbal section of the GMAT is as predictable and standardized as the Quant section is, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. There are a variety of tactics that you can use to improve your score and pacing, so I'm curious about how you've been studying so far:

1) How long have you been studying?
2) What resources have you been using?
3) What type of note-taking do you do?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by gmatlbs2015 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:43 am
hi Rich ,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
I felt so nice after reading from your post"The Verbal section of the GMAT is as predictable and standardized as the Quant section"...
Please find my answers for the questions -

1) How long have you been studying?
Ans :Two months and almost 1 week(Started in April 2015).

2) What resources have you been using?
Ans :
SC : Theory and practice Manhattan (first resource )
Practice OG Review 015 , OG Verbal Review , SC Grail
CR : Theory and practice Manhattan (first resource )
Practice OG Review 015 , OG Verbal Review , Kaplan Premier'13
RC : Practice OG Review 015 , Kaplan Premier'13

3) What type of note-taking do you do?
SC :Created error log
(Have solved OG /M/SCGrail twice)

CR :Follows the method mentioned in Manhattan (but only if time permits during the test. Was able to do so for hardly 5questions in last three tests)
Created error log ....
(Have solved OG /M/OG Verbal - Once)

RC :..........not sure what to write :-(
Honestly ,I don't know how to do the same for RC...
Accuracy was good when i was solving the material(from OG and Kaplan).
I think i understand the passage but my test scores do not say so..
RC (Correct/Total)
7/13
9/13
6/12
After giving reply to your questions , i feel don't have any strategy for RC..I'm dealing as on when passages are coming on my screen.Please guide ..

4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
I want to give test in August.
But unfortunately , I'm too short of my target score 740...
I'm fine with changing the test date but not the target score.
With my current score ...Kindly suggest what will be a realistic target date.

thanks and regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:16 am
Hi gmatlbs2015,

From what you've described, it sounds like you've done lots of practice questions but that you weren't focused on learning/practicing any specific strategies. You're essentially trying to figure out each individual question on its own without responding with a standard set of 'work steps'; that lack of consistency is having a BIG impact on your pacing.

The good news is that all of this can be 'fixed' relatively easily, but it will take some time for you to learn (and properly practice) the necessary tactics. An August Test Date is still reasonable though, so you don't have to change it just yet (and probably won't have to change it at all).

At this point, you can either go back and attempt to integrate the tactics from the various books that you have or you can invest in some new computer-based materials and learn the tactics that are offered there.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:35 am
gmatlbs2015 wrote: i feel don't have any strategy for RC..I'm dealing as on when passages are coming on my screen.Please guide ..
When it comes to Reading Comprehension (RC), I don't believe that there's one specific approach that works best for everyone. I always recommend that students spend some time experimenting with different strategies to see which one best suits their memory, reading speed and English proficiency.

Having said that, when reading ANY Reading Comprehension (RC) passage, it's crucial that you engage 100% in the passage. So, rather than approach a new passage with dread ("I don't enjoy reading it at all"), try to feign interest ("Excellent! This passage is about stock market regulations in Peru!"). The better your engagement, the better the results.

You'll find additional tips to help you better engage with the passage in this free video: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... on?id=1123

If you're interested, we have a complete set of free videos covering all sorts of Reading Comprehension strategies: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... prehension

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:10 pm
So, rather than approach a new passage with dread ("I don't enjoy reading it at all"), try to feign interest ("Excellent! This passage is about stock market regulations in Peru!"). The better your engagement, the better the results.
Brent's advice is tremendous. I actually came across a study yesterday that quantifies just how important reading engagement is to comprehension. It involved students in High School and Middle School, but the results are applicable to anyone. When struggling readers were allowed to read content about which they were particularly interested, their reading comprehension skills improved by - get this - 6.2 grade levels. That number is astonishing. Though there is certainly a difference between reading material that you genuinely want to read and pretending to find dry material interesting, I'd be willing to bet that test-takers could dramatically improve their reading comp scores by invoking this strategy.

(If anyone is interested in hunting down the study, I read about it in Clive Thomas' Smarter than You Think)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by gmatlbs2015 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:47 pm
Thanks David , Brent, Rich

I'll work on the suggestions.

thanks and regards

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Rich@EconomistGMAT » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:28 am
Hi gmatlbs2015,

Students enrolled in Economist GMAT Tutor have found a lot of success by supplementing their RC prep with outside reading. While you won't get to pick and choose the passages on test day, take advantage of your ability to do just that and add some opinion pieces from your favorite outlets to your study plan. You'll find it particularly helpful if you read and engage with them just as you would if they appeared on the GMAT, and it's a nice way to break up the monotony of doing practice question set after practice question set.

Best,
Rich