Verbal Section destroyed - Can we challenge GMAT score?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by cgoyal.gmat » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:32 pm
I agree with the post above. I took the exam on the 11th and although SC felt really tough, the final score was v42. One thing about GMATPrep is that it does have questions from OG12 and Verbal2, so you may artificially inflate your scores if the question is known. Secondly, were you giving the prep tests with AWA? If not then it could be a stamina issue.. just my 2 cents.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by kiwitaker » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:05 am
Hi All - I did my GMAT on the 12th of August in Auckland, NZ - and my Verbal score was much lower than expected as well (IR was part of my exam).. I got a 48 for Quant, but only got a 31 for Verbal.. the difficulty of the questions encountered was on par with the GMATPrep and OG questions..

I consistently got more than 35 on my practice tests for Verbal..

Am really interested to find out whether anyone has received a response from the GMAC regarding the possibility of a flawed scoring algorithm..

Cheers,
Nikhil

by BatmanQ » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:44 am
Just to reply with my experience on this thread...

Even I had similar experience....I appeared for GMAT on 20th July, Hyderabad, India.
I got surprisingly low score: 600 (44Q, 28V). This was my score in the diagnostics test that I appeared before starting preparation for GMAT. o_0

I never scored lower than 680 in any of the practice tests, which include MGMAT and Knewtons.
My score was 720 in official GMATPrep CAT. (6 days before the actual test).

I will probably be reappearing by this month end. But the thought of reappearing is killing me. It's too hard to get yourself back into the same momentum. But have to accept the reality and move on... Someday!!! :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by blackjack » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:00 am
Does anybody know on what dates is this 'experimental Integrated Reasoning section' being tested? I don't remember seeing anything of this sort when I signed up? My date is 27 August. Can't find any info on the GMAC website.

by BatmanQ » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:38 am
The testing for research section was scheduled between July 5 and August 19, 2011.
The section was of 30 mins and final GMAT score was independent of how you perform in this section.

Followed by:1 members

by arghya05 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:47 am
i am feeling very dejected, i guess gmat has got much tougher.not like gmat prep which was made on 2008.

quant is tough very tough
verbal (scoring has got much tougher with complicated question)

700 + score is not easy now
doing mba is a distant dream for a mediocre person

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by robhunter » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:32 pm
Hey Guys,

This is just one man's opinion, but respectfully...

I think any time you spend on filing a complaint about a flawed algorithm, or IR questions, or anything at all, is time completely wasted that could be better spent preparing for a re-take, or crafting a stronger application.

If you took 10 pre-tests, and got 750 every time, and then got 600 on the actual GMAT, that's unfortuante - but it's not because there's anything wrong on GMAC's end, or because they are testing new questions, it's - unfortunately - because you didn't answer enough questions correctly - period.

Focus your energies on improving for next time, not on trying to find reasons why the test is flawed.

by amit_k4 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:36 am
I too was shocked with my verbal score of 31 the 1st time...but since I was getting 36+ in my practice tests...I gave the GMAT test again( prepared for about 15-20 days) and scored a 39. So all those who got a lower than expected score, must try and give the exam another shot. Maybe it wasn't your day the 1st time around. Do give it another try if you think you should have done better.

by ImNotCreative » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:17 am
Guys, your behavior is just pathetic. There certainly is no problem woth the scoring algorithm, you just f***** up the section. The complaints here are about differen sections and range from half a year ago to today. Do you honestly think that there is any correlation?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:40 am
Just wanted to quickly jump in. Appreciate the spirited discussion here, but please do me a favor and keep the language clean. Thanks!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by JG3434 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:45 pm
Guys - a little tough love coming here, so take it with a grain of salt. I agree with the previous post. Whining about your score, and blaming the algorithm is the wrong way to go here. I think it's also reflective of a lot of the problems with our generation. Too many of us blame others for outcomes we are dissatisfied with instead of looking in the mirror - where we should. You should all be focusing on what you need to do to improve your score next time, instead of wasting time and energy on a useless and futile effort to petition GMAC because you 'should' have gotten a better score.

I also think it's particularly ironic that the majority of people here complaining about their verbal score can't put together a sentence that isn't littered with grammatical errors. It seems, based on the quality of writing in the posts here, that your verbal scores are right in line with where they should be. There is nothing wrong with the GMAT algorithm. Hundreds of thousands of people take the GMAT every year. Put in the work, stay determined, and take the test again and again until you get the score you want.

Consider this - I took the GMAT FOUR times. I scored a 540 on the first practice test. I continued studying over the course of an entire year with my last two scores being 720 (Q43 V46) and 740 (Q49 V42)respectively (I took those last two tests 2 months apart). Notice the difference in splits between the last two exams - quant went up substantially, and verbal declined substantially. The moral of the story - your score can change on any given day! Stay determined and focused on the outcome you want. Only you can make it happen. If you want it bad enough, you'll get it!

by shrutib » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:20 pm
Hi Guys!!

I had experienced a similar situation. Any one of you really challenged or at least asked them to review and got any feedback. Please share your thoughts. I am very confused.

by yoshinova » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:52 pm
I took my test on May 31st in Mumbai, India. I thought that I did pretty well and was hopeful of seeing a 750 sort of a score. But once I clicked on "Report Score", I was totally taken aback when I saw a 700 on the screen.

In the quant section, I faced a couple of combinations and probability questions about half way through the section. Had a couple of tough geometry questions as well, but I thought that I got the correct answers for those. I was pretty confident of a 50 or a 51 in this section.

Verbal, had bold-faced CR, SC has always been a cake walk for me and it was the same in the test, and there was no problem with RC either. Worst come worst I would have ended up with a 40 on Verbal.

Actual result -> Quant 48, Verbal 38. The first thought that came to my mind was - It's Impossible. I've never scored below this 720 on any of my mocks and was consistently hitting 750/760 in the final weeks.

I'm not sure what went wrong at the end of the day. Whether it was the algorithm's fault or GMAC was plain right pissed because I, along with a thousands others, decided to rush to take the test before IR kicks in.

Anyway, I'm thinking to email GMAC and ask them if there is any way I could a revaluation done. I'm pessimistic about a positive response from these folks but considering all my hard work, I'm going to give it a try.