Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

Verbal Section destroyed - Can we challenge GMAT score?

This topic has 3 expert replies and 39 member replies
Goto page Previous Next
GMAT Sucks Just gettin' started!
Posted:
1 messages
Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:18 am
Any idea how we can file this complaint? Cuz I got a trashcan 590 (Q40,V31) Quant I anyway dint expect much but Verbal was a shocker to say the least. So can I please have the address to which I can mail this..these survey questions are causing problems for sure..cant be coincidence can it?

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
neil Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
1 messages
Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:34 pm
Same story here. Sad
Got a 650 M48, V31.

I never got below 36 even in my first mock test 4 months back. In the last GMAT Prep exam that I took 2 days before the exam, I got a 740 (M47, V44)

I would like to voice my concern too. Not that I am expecting GMAC to review their algorithm...

Rgds,
Neil

totu Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
1 messages
Post Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:43 am
lemondedephil wrote:
Hello:

I took the test on July 20th and faced a very similar situation to yours. On all practice tests (including GMAT Prep), I was scoring 38-41. On the actual test day, my verbal ended up scoring at 31. My math (like you) was right where I thought it would be.

After reading your post and hearing additional "buzz" from other online communitie around significantly lower than expected verbal scores from a recent testing, I am indeed challenging the scoring. I was part of a test group that got additional questions for the new analytics section that GMAT intends to role out next year. This test section immediately followed verbal. Since this section was out of the ordinary from previous testing experiences, I am using this situation as an excuse to request a further investigation.

Kindly find my letter of complaint submitted below. I do encourage you to challenge as well and all else out there in this situation.

Best,
Confused GMAT Fellow

____________________-

Hello:

I took the GMAT on July 20, 2011 at XXXXX in XXXXXXX. I would like to challenge my verbal score. I am fearful that the additional "test analytical section" (the 12 questions not part of the official test used for research purposes) may have impacted the test scoring programming for the verbal score calculation since it immediately followed the verbal section with no opportunity for a break in between the two sections.

Could you please confirm that verbal was indeed scored correctly on my test day? My GMAT ID number is XXXXXXX and my authentication code is XXXXXXX.

I do not believe my verbal score of 31 is reflective of what I received on general practice tests (including GMAT prep - where my score range was 38-41) nor correlated to my 6.0 received on the AWA.

Normally, I would pass this lower score than expected as an individual testing experience problem. However, I have heard from online communities that many others who have taken the test during the last week faced a similar situation with their verbal scores, including those who took the official test previous times and scored much higher on verbal the initial time which they took the test. The normal statistical deviation does not seem to be the case here.

How can we be reassured that there was not a programming error in the general scoring for verbal? Any closure you could provide would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
lemondedephil
Did you get any response from GMAC?

I am not expecting that they change their algorithm or anything, but perhaps they can go back and check the scores for a particular test taker, if requested, to reconfirm that the scoring was done properly. As for me, I took my GMAT on July 19th and got 620 (46, 29) although was consistently scoring around 35 in verbal on my practice tests. Also, I got a 6.0 score for the AWA essays. Verbal questions were of average difficulty for me and there was a boldface CR question... Am now thinking whether I should retake the test or proceed with the rest of the application package... Thanks!

arghya05 Rising GMAT Star
Posted:
81 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Post Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:34 am
i have lots of news that people are getting low verbal score.i guess verbal is tougher or scoring has changed.i was much easy to 40 + in verbal during 2007 or 2008

Frankenstein GMAT Titan Default Avatar
Posted:
1449 messages
Followed by:
53 members
Post Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:45 am
Hey,
Sorry if I am hurting anyone. My humble request - There is nothing like that. Don't pay too much attention to stuff like this. One can screw up Verbal because of many things - some tangible and some not. If you are worried about IR making an impact on Verbal section, book a slot when the experimental section is not there so that you will be confident. IR section has nothing to do with low Verbal scores. Ideally, toughness should increase because of the increase in the amount of resources available.

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

kitu16 Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
5 messages
Post Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:08 pm
I took the test on 2nd Aug '11.
I have been scoring decently well in GMATprep and powerprep
Got 740 and 760 in powerpreps and 710 and 730 in GMATprep.
My quant score has been consistently in the 48-50 range and verbal in 44+ range.

However, actual GMAT - 680(Q-44, V-38)
I also got the Integrated Reasoning section at the end and didnt seriously attempt it as I just wanted to get done with it.

My score was completely unexpected.
Wondering what went wrong.
My quant was especially bad even though it is my strong point and I though my quant didnt go that bad except for 2-3 questions towards the end that I had to rush through due to lack of time.

winniethepooh GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
Posted:
370 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Test Date:
Late November
Target GMAT Score:
700+
Post Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:57 pm
Whats the integrated reasoning section?
I hope its not a part of a compulsory attempt question!
What is it all about?

kitu16 Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
5 messages
Post Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:46 am
Integrated Reasoning is a new section that will be included in the test sometime in 2012. Right now, many test takers are getting an experimental Integrated Reasoning section towards the end.

amit_k4 Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
6 messages
Post Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:25 am
same thing happened to me as well. I was shocked to see the score I got. I had only 31 in verbal. I had been getting close to 40 in all of the practice tests that I gave. I also got the IR section and attempted it rather casually as it was not to be scored. I think this IR section may have something to do with my verbal score. I actually think I gave my best performance in the verbal section in the actual GMAT as compared with the mock tests that I gave,but I am really disappointed with my score. Is there anything like requested the GMAC to verify or check my exam again..

champ0007 Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
Posted:
43 messages
Test Date:
August 2011
Target GMAT Score:
750+
Post Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:40 pm
Same here ... Gave my exam on 4th August at Hyderabad, India.

I did get the experimental section.

got 680 Q49 V32 ... verbal was definitely on the lower side..
i just saw this thread. There might be a pattern emerging but then I think there is very little one can do challenge GMAC in terms of validating their algorithm.

Still in 2 minds whether to retake or work harder on my profile

@Frankenstein - Are you planning to retake?
I have seen you replying to all verbal stuff quite quickly...

All the best to everyone.

Frankenstein GMAT Titan Default Avatar
Posted:
1449 messages
Followed by:
53 members
Post Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:55 pm
Hi,
Yes... I will be retaking towards the end of this month. Haven't booked my date, yet. If you are planning to apply for 2012 intake, and confident of improving by at least 30 points, I would say retake it next month, else work on other aspects. If it is fine for you to delay your applications, you better take it after few months. Just my thoughts. It might take you few days to come out of this mess as well. So, take everything into consideration and then decide.
Good Luck!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

champ0007 Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
Posted:
43 messages
Test Date:
August 2011
Target GMAT Score:
750+
Post Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:32 pm
@Frankenstein - just sent a PM to you.

arghya05 Rising GMAT Star
Posted:
81 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:52 am
The general trend is that people are getting low score in verbal in india. I guess the demography also plays an important part in selecting pool of questions for gmat.

The main debate boils down to the fact whether gmat is tougher in india or china.

did people giving gmat outside india also got similar score in that period?

ronaldramlan Rising GMAT Star
Posted:
87 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:05 am
I have decided to take the test on 16 Aug 2011. Some time earlier, I asked the GMAC on how the IR experimental questions will be presented. Its reply was that the IR questions will be a separate section from the GMAT exam. I noticed that some you who took the test after 5 Jun, and thus were presented with IR questions mentioned that the IR questions immediately follow the Verbal section.

Did those IR questions follow the Verbal section in a way that a segregation like that between Quant and Verbal appeared so that you knew that you were about to enter the IR experimental section?

In addition, to those who ended up with lower than expected GMAT score and questioned the validity of the scoring algorithm, which you deem might be tempered by the IR experimental questions, could you please share the GMAC's response to your queries?

I'm curious not only because I will take the test on 16 Aug, but also because I know that GMAC has indicated in its website (www.mba.com) that test takers' performance on the IR experimental questions will NOT count toward official GMAT score and will NOT be reported to schools (see in the following link about GMAT Research Study). Also, in the FAQ section, GMAC even restates that the IR experimental section will NOT even be scored.

GMAT Research Study
http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/nex-gen/next-generation-research-study.aspx

Next Generation GMAT - FAQs
http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/nex-gen/faqs-about-gmat-changes.aspx

rocsid Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
15 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:20 pm
I took the GMAT on 5th August 2011 and got the Integrated Reasoning section too. I answered the whole section in one minute because I was eager to see my scores. AND NO! There's nothing wrong with the verbal section algorithm. I got a 41 in my verbal. And for me, it was pretty much expected considering my responses.

Please stop blaming GMAC for your mistakes. It happens. One off day, some rules missed. The GMAT exam has been made to trick you to choose the wrong answer. If you do the official guide and see the answers, and then later go on to give the GMATPrep, some questions are bound to be repeated. Those questions you might have got right in the mock exam, leading to a 35 in verbal.
I advise you all to focus on the exam; a retake is always allowed. Cool

Best Conversation Starters

1 j_shreyans 80 topics
2 aditya8062 41 topics
3 anksm22 35 topics
4 kamalakarthi 29 topics
5 RiyaR 27 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

175 posts