Verbal Review 18: Unable to build nests or

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Verbal Review 18: Unable to build nests or

by NandishSS » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:24 am
Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes.

A. a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including
B. a female cowbird will use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of
C. female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of
D. female cowbirds lay up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including
E. up to 40 eggs a year are laid by female cowbirds in the nests of other birds, including

OA: D

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:51 am
NandishSS wrote:Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes.

A. a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including
B. a female cowbird will use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of
C. female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of
D. female cowbirds lay up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including
E. up to 40 eggs a year are laid by female cowbirds in the nests of other birds, including
In A and B, their (plural) does not agree with a female cowbird (singular).
Eliminate A and B.

C: female cowbirds...lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of warblers
Here, those seems to refer to eggs -- the nearest preceding plural noun -- yielding the following meaning:
Female cowbirds...lay up to 40 eggs a year, including the eggs of warblers.
The conveyed meaning -- that female cowbirds lay the eggs of warblers -- is nonsensical.
Eliminate C.

The referent for an introductory noun modifier must BEGIN the following clause.
E: Unable to build nests, up to 40 eggs a year are laid by female cowbirds
Here, unable to build nests is an introductory noun modifier.
Its intended referent -- female cowbirds -- does not begin the following clause.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3