variable rate mortgages

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

variable rate mortgages

by soumyopriyosaha » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:52 am
4. Even though variable rate mortgages are an attractive option due to low introductory interest rates, it can be potentially dangerous for people with tight budgets, whose monthly expenditures should remain fairly constant to avoid ending up in debt.
a. it can be potentially dangerous for people with tight budgets, whose
b. they can be potentially dangerous for people with tight budgets, because their
c. they are potentially dangerous for people with tight budgets, whose
d. for people with tight budgets it can be dangerous, because their
e. for people with tight budgets, they can be potentially dangerous in that their
OA: c

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:09 am
subject : variable rate mortgages (plural)

Pronoun : they..(referring back to subject).

This leads us to select B or C.

In B,"because their" is wordy . Moreover in B,they can be potentially dangerous which signifies the event that may happen in the future.
But we are concerned with event in the " present" rightly signified by C(are potentially dangerous)

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:40 am
Thanks guys for " thanking me".

Actually the small " thanks" gives loads of energies to people & its a good practice too... Thank You!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by kongaharsha » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:06 am
4. Even though variable rate mortgages are an attractive option due to low introductory interest rates, it can be potentially dangerous for people with tight budgets, whose monthly expenditures should remain fairly constant to avoid ending up in debt.
a. it can be potentially dangerous for people with tight budgets, whose
b. they can be potentially dangerous for people with tight budgets, because their
c. they are potentially dangerous for people with tight budgets, whose
d. for people with tight budgets it can be dangerous, because their
e. for people with tight budgets, they can be potentially dangerous in that their
I just wanted to understand option D and E if my understanding is correct.

The moment you use for,

the sentence reads - " Even though variable rate morgages...... low introductory interest rates for people with tight budgets"
The sentence actually means variable rate mortgages are an attractive options due to their low interest rates. This is irrespective of whether the people are on tight budgets or not. Hence these options change the meaning.

Apart from this they also have S-V agreement errors and wordy.

Is th explanation correct?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:530

by vishalwin » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:36 pm
option D is wrong

variable rate mortgages are an attractive option due to low introductory interest rates, for people with tight budgets it can be dangerous, because their...

subject is variable rate mortgages ("are")....so "it is wrong" singular verb but subject is plural.

E) for people with tight budgets, they can be potentially dangerous in that their

more there is ambiguity ....they....their

they should refer to mortgages and their should refer to people.

option A)

variable rate mortgages are an attractive option due to low introductory interest rates, it can be potentially dangerous for people with tight budgets,

subject is variable rate mortgages ("are")....so "it is wrong" singular verb but subject is plural.

Now according to me option B should be correct and C is incorrect

C) placement and reference of "whose" is incorrect.

Even though variable rate mortgages are an attractive option due to low introductory interest rates, they are potentially dangerous for people with tight budgets, whose

WHOSE can refer to both people and things

but here whose should refer to people as only people's expenditures remain constant and NOT of things like MORTGAGES (In short, MEANING IS LOST)

option B)

Even though variable rate mortgages are an attractive option due to low introductory interest rates, they can be potentially dangerous for people with tight budgets, because their monthly expenditures should remain fairly constant to avoid ending up in debt.
Thanks & Regards
vishalwin
------------------------------------
GMAT Score - 530
I will BEAT the GMAT!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by kongaharsha » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:03 am
I'm particularly keen on the usage of For in the last two options. My post was also explaining that point. Can you explain if my interpretation of for is correct?