Usage of verb-ing modifier with possessives

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Usage of verb-ing modifier with possessives

by ommtomm » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:01 pm
Hi

I read in one of SC OG problems- OG 2015 problem 7- that use of possessives with verb-ing is unwarranted. Please explain why is it so.

e.g. The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, with its hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia, helps explain scientists' assuming that they independently of vertebrate eye.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:48 am
When you see a gerund (a "verb-ing" acting as a noun), think of substituting the phrase "the act of verb-ing."

For example, "studying is hard work" = "the act of studying is hard work." It's assumed that "studying" refers to the entire concept of studying in the abstract, and not to one particular instance of studying.

For this reason, it doesn't make sense to use a gerund with a possessive. If we say "the scientists' assuming," and we try to swap in "the scientists' act of assuming," it doesn't make any sense. Since we're talking about one particular instance of assuming, and not the idea of "assuming" in the abstract, we want to say "the scientists' assumption."

Does that help?
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:50 am
Here's more info about the use of -ING generally: https://www.beatthegmat.com/ing-form-t269857.html#694856
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:55 pm
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3