URM Profile Evaluation - AA/1st Gen

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

URM Profile Evaluation - AA/1st Gen

by topshot » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:25 am
Hey - I would like to know what GMAT score (or range) I would need to get into a top 7 program.

URM - AA
1st gen. college grad
3.1 UGPA top 25 school
5yrs exp. in consulting
2 short term international assignments
-
Extracurricular - Mentor 2yrs

I'm not the best test taker and I work 60-80hrs/wk. It's been difficult to find time to study.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:33 pm
Consider the following points topshot:
  1. The URM background will help though we'd need to know more about the UG - what college; relative GPA standing etc. From what you are hinting, GMAT will not be a strong point - so for a top 7, it will be important to understand these other aspects of the academic arc. Higher the better is the only thing I can say at such a high level for the GMAT. We've worked with folks in sub-600 range get into top schools - but can't really generalize things here.
  2. The word consulting is fairly well abused. It can mean a ton of different things and all unrelated - some great, some just about there in terms of quality of experience. That's another thing that has to be understood to do a fair assessment of your chances.
  3. Finally, where it all comes together - the post-MBA plan. For reasons mentioned here, I do not provide gut-based school selection chances. But overall, your profile could have promise worth exploring more.
Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by topshot » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:36 am
On my first GMAT I scored in the mid 500's and I attribute that score to a lack of prep and timing.

The undergrad I went to was comparable to UT, UF, Penn State. Also, I forgot to mention that I was research assistant for a published piece of work in Finance.

I work in management consulting for a tier 2 firm (EY, PwC, Accenture). My focus is corporate strategy for M&A.

Post MBA I either want to break into tier 1 consulting (MBB) or work in tech strategy.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:56 am
While the diversity pitch 'may' help break into the top league schools, but for MBB too, the GMAT will be a consideration. The Tier 2 'tag' here could actually limit your chances here some - so the GMAT question is an important one. Get your act together on that front and things should be good.

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Personal MBA Coach » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:32 pm
Your demographics and consulting experience will help you. If you did well in consulting, the tier 2 firm won't hurt you. That said, you do need to show a decent GMAT to be competitive. 3.1 is a really low GPA, so despite the URM, you should try to get 700 on the GMAT. The averages for the top 7 schools are 30ish points higher anyway, but if you get in the low 600s combined with a 3.1, the odds are not in your favor. A score in the 500s significantly reduces your chances.

Good luck!

Best,
Scott