Urgent : Profile Evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Urgent : Profile Evaluation

by Pattnaik » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:39 pm
Hi,
I am a B.Tech chemical engineering graduate from National Institute of Technology (NIT), Trichy.
My GMAT score is 760 (Quant 50 Verbal 41 AWA 6 IR 8)
GPA is 8.28/10
Class XII : 82.6%
Class X : 93.5%

I was working in petroleum refining sector as a manager in Reliance Industries Ltd.(Ranked no. 158 in Fortune Global 500 list) from July 2013 to August 2015. I am planning to apply to B-schools in January'2016.
Designation : Manager / Job Role : Field Engineer

I have internship experience at Indian institute of technology (IIT)- Madras, Indian institute of management (IIM)- Bangalore and Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd. (HPCL - Ranked 260th in fortune 500 list)

1)I have worked with an NGO, Cooperative of Cultural Development to establish non-governmental reforms in forming cooperatives for farmers.
2)I have worked on a public awareness campaign in association with Indian national science congress on the "effect of junk food on people especially teenagers"
3)I have also volunteered to teach underprivileged children
4)During my internship at IIT Madras I wrote articles on recent incidents in India which affect the ecology and environment :
(i) Death of vultures due to feeding on drugged cattle carcasses
(ii)Crisis caused by insecticide Endosulfan 5)While working in the petroleum industry, I conduct health and safety awareness workshops for the workers.
6) I had participated in the "Against wildlife trade" programme conducted by Zoo outreach organisation.

I was a member of organizing team of college technical fest
Hobbies: painting, swimming, playing cricket, badminton and listening to music

Target Schools:-
Columbia
Chicago Booth
Wharton
MIT Sloan
Kellogg
UC Berkeley
Duke Fuqua
NYU
Tuck
Yale

Which among these are ambitious, within reach and safe.
What are the prospects of getting an admit into ISB, Hyderabad.
What are the prospects of getting an admit into other B-schools outside US like insead,IE spain, LBS.
Will applying in the third round of application process be too late in terms of conversion rate and visa processes

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Personal MBA Coach » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:44 am
Pattnaik wrote:Hi,
I am a B.Tech chemical engineering graduate from National Institute of Technology (NIT), Trichy.
My GMAT score is 760 (Quant 50 Verbal 41 AWA 6 IR 8)
GPA is 8.28/10
Class XII : 82.6%
Class X : 93.5%

I was working in petroleum refining sector as a manager in Reliance Industries Ltd.(Ranked no. 158 in Fortune Global 500 list) from July 2013 to August 2015. I am planning to apply to B-schools in January'2016.
Designation : Manager / Job Role : Field Engineer

I have internship experience at Indian institute of technology (IIT)- Madras, Indian institute of management (IIM)- Bangalore and Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd. (HPCL - Ranked 260th in fortune 500 list)

1)I have worked with an NGO, Cooperative of Cultural Development to establish non-governmental reforms in forming cooperatives for farmers.
2)I have worked on a public awareness campaign in association with Indian national science congress on the "effect of junk food on people especially teenagers"
3)I have also volunteered to teach underprivileged children
4)During my internship at IIT Madras I wrote articles on recent incidents in India which affect the ecology and environment :
(i) Death of vultures due to feeding on drugged cattle carcasses
(ii)Crisis caused by insecticide Endosulfan 5)While working in the petroleum industry, I conduct health and safety awareness workshops for the workers.
6) I had participated in the "Against wildlife trade" programme conducted by Zoo outreach organisation.

I was a member of organizing team of college technical fest
Hobbies: painting, swimming, playing cricket, badminton and listening to music

Target Schools:-
Columbia
Chicago Booth
Wharton
MIT Sloan
Kellogg
UC Berkeley
Duke Fuqua
NYU
Tuck
Yale

Which among these are ambitious, within reach and safe.
What are the prospects of getting an admit into ISB, Hyderabad.
What are the prospects of getting an admit into other B-schools outside US like insead,IE spain, LBS.
Will applying in the third round of application process be too late in terms of conversion rate and visa processes
Thank you for the post. While the third round is possible, I don't recommend it. The visa issues can be a problem and most international applicants will have already filled up spots during round two. If you can't get all of your applications done in time, you can do some in round three but I recommend trying for as many as you can in round two.

Wharton is ambitious, though certainly doable with your profile so I would actually put it in the within reach pile along with Columbia, Booth, Sloan, Kellogg, Berkeley, Tuck. NYU and Yale would be safer for you. You have a great chance of getting into ISB, though you could do better in my opinion and INSEAD, IE and LBS are also within reach.

I recommend getting a specific strategy down since you listed schools across a wide spectrum. Would you like to talk about how I can help you with your applications as well as narrow down the list of schools? Send an email to discuss. [email protected]

Best,
Scott

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by apphelp » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:30 am
Hi Pattnaik,

Your GMAT score is very good and so is the work ex. So, overall candidature is strong. That said you are very late in the application season. You have 10-20 days before jan deadlines of schools and deadlines post that are not at all recommended for Indian applicants given visa and funding challenges. B schools clearly state that Jan deadlines are mostly the last application deadlines for international applicants.

So, we would recommend considering

ISB
Duke

INSEAD can be considered for Jan 2017 intake. So, you can apply in feb end/ mar beginning.

Feel free to contact us for any queries.

Apphelp Team
Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Confused about schools? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: https://www.blog.apphelp.co.in