Urgent Help!

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Urgent Help!

by riteshpatnaik » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:08 am
Hi,
I am a 33 year old Male with 8 years of work ex (Management Consultant) with an MBA ( from a not so high ranked Indian B school).I started my preparation in Jan 2016. I have hectic work schedule and have to travel a lot but still I managed to put at least 2hrs a day and 8hrs on week ends (provided I am not travelling. There were a couple of breaks in between when I was travelling for work) . My practice tests pan out as follows

CAT 1- GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1- Test 1- Diagnostic Test - Dec 2015- 390 (Q16 V27)
CAT 2- GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 Test 2- Prepped for 2 Months- Mar 2106- 480 (Q33 V23)
CAT 3- GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 Test 1 Retake- Prepped again for a Month- Apr 2016- 590 (Q48 V24)
CAT 4- GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 Test 2 Retake- Prepped again for a Month- Jun 2016- 700 (Q50 V35)
CAT 5- GMAT Prep Exam Pack 2 Test 1 - Jun 2016- 550 (Q4 V23)
CAT 6- MCAT 1- Test 1- Brushed up on Verbal and practices QUants from GMAT CLub Test- 660 ( Q47 V33)
CAT 7- MCAT 1- Test 1- Brushed up on Verbal and practices QUants from GMAT CLub Test- 660 ( Q46 V34)

All my tests have been during the time slot during which I intend to give my real GMAT Test. All the tests were including AWA and IR and with 7 minute breaks as on the real GMAT.
The only deviation was that during the tests between Cat 3 to CAT 7 during Quants section I had to pause to check on properties and formulas.

My question is my Target Score is 730+ and I am targeting Bschools like INSEAD and ISB ( 1yr courses to be precise) I have not yet booked my exam date and I am targeting to start my application processes by AUgust 2nd week .I have to join this coming batch of Jan 2017 for ISB and likes or Sep 2017 for INSEAD and likes.

Should I go ahead and Book a date ? I am planning for July 29 and will take 5 days off before it. I have been thinking that once I hit 730 in two consecutive Mocks then I will book the date but now I am panicking as I am running out of time.I have dropped from 700 to 550 then now improved to 660 but I am messing up Number properties big time now, earlier it was my strength. I only need a week to thoroughly brushup and I am sure I will hit 700 plus.

I have exhausted all materials, OGs including REVIEWS and currently solving BTG questions

Please advise whether or not should I go ahead and book the date!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:09 am
Hi riteshpatnaik,

I know that we've already discussed some of this in another online Forum, but I think that other users might be interested in the discussion, so I've pasted over my response from there:

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's what happened here. We have to ignore the results from any CATs that you've re-taken (the 590 and the 700) AND we have to be suspicious of all of the results since you've openly admitted that you pause your Tests. I have a few additional questions about how you took these CATs.

The GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Right now though, it's not clear whether we have a realistic assessment of your skills or not. As such, you might need to consider pushing back your Test Date so that you can properly train to face the full Official GMAT in a realistic way.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by riteshpatnaik » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:40 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi riteshpatnaik,

I know that we've already discussed some of this in another online Forum, but I think that other users might be interested in the discussion, so I've pasted over my response from there:

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's what happened here. We have to ignore the results from any CATs that you've re-taken (the 590 and the 700) AND we have to be suspicious of all of the results since you've openly admitted that you pause your Tests. I have a few additional questions about how you took these CATs.

The GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Right now though, it's not clear whether we have a realistic assessment of your skills or not. As such, you might need to consider pushing back your Test Date so that you can properly train to face the full Official GMAT in a realistic way.

Rich

Hi Rich,
I took the GMAT prep test- pack 2 Test 2. This time didn't pause. My score Q 38 V40- 610. I have booked my date on August 1 st. I am targeting 730 plus Should I postpone it ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:34 am
Hi riteshpatnaik,

If you've taken this CAT in a realistic fashion that 'matches up' with what you'll have to deal with on Test Day, then we have to assume that this score is an accurate reflection of your abilities. Given your score goal (and prior practice CAT scores), it's unlikely that you'll improve 100+ points in 1 week, so you should consider pushing back your Test Date. As it stands, you could take the GMAT on August 1st and cancel the score if you're unhappy (in that situation, you would end up spending another $250 later on to retest), so there's no real harm in that scenario.

1) What are the exact application deadlines that you're working under?
2) What is the latest that you could take the GMAT?

Rich

by riteshpatnaik » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:53 pm

If you've taken this CAT in a realistic fashion that 'matches up' with what you'll have to deal with on Test Day, then we have to assume that this score is an accurate reflection of your abilities. Given your score goal (and prior practice CAT scores), it's unlikely that you'll improve 100+ points in 1 week, so you should consider pushing back your Test Date. As it stands, you could take the GMAT on August 1st and cancel the score if you're unhappy (in that situation, you would end up spending another $250 later on to retest), so there's no real harm in that scenario.

1) What are the exact application deadlines that you're working under?
2) What is the latest that you could take the GMAT?

Rich
Hi Rich,
Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes it was a realistic CAT. My application deadlines are in Mid October. Also the fact I am working makes it difficult to follow a fixed routine. I am targeting only 1 yr programmes- INSEAD Sep 2017 Intake, ISB, IIM A PGPEX and IIM C PGPEX

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:05 am
Hi riteshpatnaik,

With application deadlines in October, you still have plenty of time to study for the GMAT and improve. You can decide whether to reschedule or not (although rescheduling will likely save you some money); the likely end result of all of this is that you're going to end up taking (or retaking) the GMAT at a later date.

The bigger-picture issue is about how you plan to continue studying. Can you list out the exact materials that you've used during your studies?

Rich

by riteshpatnaik » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:27 pm

With application deadlines in October, you still have plenty of time to study for the GMAT and improve. You can decide whether to reschedule or not (although rescheduling will likely save you some money); the likely end result of all of this is that you're going to end up taking (or retaking) the GMAT at a later date.

The bigger-picture issue is about how you plan to continue studying. Can you list out the exact materials that you've used during your studies?

Rich
Thanks Rich,
I had taken an online Verbal course by an Indian centre- Crack Verbal, All OGs including Reviews (13 & 15), Manhattan Quants Guide, GMAT Club and BTG questions.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:38 am
riteshpatnaik wrote:The only deviation was that during the tests between Cat 3 to CAT 7 during Quants section I had to pause to check on properties and formulas.
From what you said it sounds as if you are relying too much on formulas and not enough on logic and truly understanding how and why the math you are using works. Working that way constrains your effectiveness in multiple ways. Possibly most significantly, as questions increase in difficulty, they tend to become less amenable to being solved via formulas. While formulas may still to a degree apply to more difficult questions, the questions can involve additional trickiness, and if you don't really understand what's going on sufficiently that you could if necessary derive a pertinent formula yourself, likely you won't be well equipped to get to the answer.

So the upshot is that to get to that 730 level, you may be best off practicing without your formulas handy, working at questions in a way that requires figuring out what's really going on. While you may need more than two minutes per question when practicing in this way, in the long run you will develop deeper understanding and better skills.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

by riteshpatnaik » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:10 am
Marty Murray wrote:
riteshpatnaik wrote:The only deviation was that during the tests between Cat 3 to CAT 7 during Quants section I had to pause to check on properties and formulas.
From what you said it sounds as if you are relying too much on formulas and not enough on logic and truly understanding how and why the math you are using works. Working that way constrains your effectiveness in multiple ways. Possibly most significantly, as questions increase in difficulty, they tend to become less amenable to being solved via formulas. While formulas may still to a degree apply to more difficult questions, the questions can involve additional trickiness, and if you don't really understand what's going on sufficiently that you could if necessary derive a pertinent formula yourself, likely you won't be well equipped to get to the answer.

So the upshot is that to get to that 730 level, you may be best off practicing without your formulas handy, working at questions in a way that requires figuring out what's really going on. While you may need more than two minutes per question when practicing in this way, in the long run you will develop deeper understanding and better skills.
Hi Marty,
Thanks a ton. Yes I am depending too much on formulae. I will surely change my strategy now as I have postponed my test to 31 Aug. Thanks for the advice.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:17 am
Hi riteshpatnaik,

Have you chosen to reschedule your GMAT?

The Q38 that you scored on this last CAT implies that you made lots of little mistakes throughout the Quant section, so it's important to define WHY you were getting those questions wrong.

After reviewing the Quant section, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math that you just didn't know how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?

Rich

by riteshpatnaik » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:55 pm

Have you chosen to reschedule your GMAT?

The Q38 that you scored on this last CAT implies that you made lots of little mistakes throughout the Quant section, so it's important to define WHY you were getting those questions wrong.

After reviewing the Quant section, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math that you just didn't know how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?

Rich
Hi Rich,

Yes I have rescheduled my Exam. I have booked a date on 31 August.

In total I made 12 mistakes- From Q no 29 to Q 37 none were Incorrect

1) Because of a silly/little mistake? Q N0- 1 (PS- Algebra),5 (PS- Percent),7 (DS_ Digits),8 (PS- Rate),17 (PS-Percent), 20-(DS Percent) & 21 (PS_ Consecutive Numbers- Very Annoyed with Myself that I got this wrong)
2) Because there was some math that you just didn't know how to do? Q No. -14 (PS- Number Properties),24 (DS-Number Properties), 25 (DS- Number Properties)-
3) Because the question was too hard? Q No- 27 ( DS- Sets)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:05 pm
Hi riteshpatnaik,

The information that you've provided in your last post is important - it defines a major issue that you have to work on. If what you describe is accurate, then you got almost 20% of the total Quant questions wrong because of little mistakes. You cannot 'absorb' that number of wrong answers on 'gettable' questions and expect to score at a high level. Keeping all of that in mind, you now have to decide whether you think that you can properly fix all of this on your own or not. If 'your way' of approaching the Quant section allows for all of those errors to occur, then you almost certainly have a number of 'bad habits' that you have to eliminate from your work. With about 5 weeks before your next Official GMAT, you could invest in some new materials and receive consistent, expert advice on how to go about all of this or you could attempt it all on your own.

1) What type of study routine are planning to follow for the next 5 weeks?

Rich

by riteshpatnaik » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:33 pm

The information that you've provided in your last post is important - it defines a major issue that you have to work on. If what you describe is accurate, then you got almost 20% of the total Quant questions wrong because of little mistakes. You cannot 'absorb' that number of wrong answers on 'gettable' questions and expect to score at a high level. Keeping all of that in mind, you now have to decide whether you think that you can properly fix all of this on your own or not. If 'your way' of approaching the Quant section allows for all of those errors to occur, then you almost certainly have a number of 'bad habits' that you have to eliminate from your work. With about 5 weeks before your next Official GMAT, you could invest in some new materials and receive consistent, expert advice on how to go about all of this or you could attempt it all on your own.

1) What type of study routine are planning to follow for the next 5 weeks?

Rich
Hi Rich,
First this is how I have prepared so far.
For Quants I started with Jeff Stackman for a month- till Feb end. Then solved OG 15 for a Month - March. Then took up Manhattan Quant Guides and simultaneously solved OG 2013 as per question numbers given at the guide end. This was for a Month that is till April end. And after that started solving from OG 16 and GMAC Reviews, till June End. Then picked up BTG and GMAT Club question bank and started solving.

Now for the nex 4 weeks I intend to Put in 4 hrs a day on week days and 10hrs a day on weekends. Also, I want to give equal emphasis on both Quants and Verbal, don't want to loose the edge on Verbal. On weekdays I plan to put in 2hrs each on Quants and Verbal and on weekends I will spend more time on Quants and less on Verbal.

Since I have exausted and burned through most of the material except for BTG and GMAT club questions, I am clueless how do I proceed.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:57 am
Hi riteshpatnaik,

Many Test Takers who use a "book heavy" study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level and it's possible that this is what has happened to you. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. The solution will almost certainly require that you invest in some new, non-book resources and learn/practice some new Tactics.

Based on everything that you've described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in well under 2 months, so while you might be able to complete the entire Study Plan, you could still learn and improve a great deal in 5 weeks. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

by riteshpatnaik » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:43 am

Many Test Takers who use a "book heavy" study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level and it's possible that this is what has happened to you. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. The solution will almost certainly require that you invest in some new, non-book resources and learn/practice some new Tactics.

Based on everything that you've described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in well under 2 months, so while you might be able to complete the entire Study Plan, you could still learn and improve a great deal in 5 weeks. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
Hi Rich,
Thanks. But I have precisely 4 weeks before the real GMAT. Will the course be sufficient,as I plan to put in at least 30hrs a week?