Unusual experience

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Unusual experience

by tonyrobbins » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:28 pm
Hi Stacy -- hoping you could provide some comments on my situation which is a bit unusual:
GPA is a low A, and I'm studying for GMAT right now (should be 670 based on past exams for arguements sake).

My resume is a bit unusual. I did my undergrad in Electrical Engineering, and worked as a Network Engineer, slowly promoted to Team leader at a small sized Telecom company. From there, I went to work for a natinional carrier in a Design capacity (again very technical), but not team leader. The job was more focused on helping to design their new network.

But from there, I quit and left engineering completed, and went to do something completely unrelated. I worked as an agent to a Chinese furniture company here in the USA because it was a really good opportunity, and I made fair money doing it (I had little to no experience doing this, but just pretty much jumped in cold turkey). I just had to capatilize on this opportunity so I was willing to leave the world of engineering.

How will schools view this unusual experience and this weird change in careers?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:56 am
The change in career plans is okay as long as you can show that the experience you gained was a step towards your longer term goals. In other words, it was not an arbitrary move, but something that you did in order to gain relevant experience. As always, make sure that you use this job to illustrate important personal characteristics such as leadership, teamwork, communication skills and perhaps an ability to quickly get up to speed and adapt in a new environment.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by uzferaksay » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:42 am
UNUSUAL EXPERIENCE

Do I need to have it?

What do you mean by unusual experience?