untimed diagnostic test.

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

untimed diagnostic test.

by Luk90 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:39 am
Hey Guys,

I started to study for the GMAT a few weeks ago.
After a while I figured out that the "content first, then Speed"-approach is suited best for my study style.
Precisely, this is the strategy I'm focusing on : https://www.beatthegmat.com/770-50-q-46- ... 40093.html

So currently I'm working myself through the content of the Manhattan GMAT books.
When I'm done with that, I want to take an untimed diagnostic test, to check my knowledge, as suggested in the Strategy above.
Unfortunately I already did the Diagnostic Test in the OG Book. So there is no point in doing it again.

My question is: Is there an other untimed diagnostic test, ideally with retired GMAT questions (to keep it as realistic as possible) ??????

Thanks in advance for your help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:47 pm
Hi Luk90,

The post that you referenced tells a really interesting story, and I'm glad that the plan worked for the original poster. However, there are a number of aspects to that plan that are impractical (and I'd go so far as to say "problematic"), so I don't think that this plan would help very many people to earn a similar score result. Here are some of the reasons why:

1) This post is from 2009, when the GMAT was a different exam. The old version had 2 essays, while the current version has 1 essay and the IR section. That second essay was considerably easier to deal with than the IR section. This plan does NOT account for IR (and how dealing with IR affects your performance on latter sections of the Test).

2) When the plan mentions taking an untimed Diagnostic Test, does that include the essay and IR? Skipping sections during practice almost always leads to artificially "inflated" scores and an untimed Test is completely unrealistic. If it takes you 6 hours to complete, then you have a HUGE PROBLEM (regardless of the score you earn).

3) I'm all for learning the content and doing the proper practice, but you CANNOT realistically master all of the material BEFORE you start taking practice CATs. You have to "build up" your knowledge, measure your skills (by taking a CAT periodically), go back and review, fix the things that went wrong, hone your skills, Test again, learn new material, etc.

4) Taking lots of CATs does NOT make you a better Test Taker. A CAT is a "measuring device" - it points out what you did wrong and if you have pacing/fatigue problems. It's similar to weighing yourself on a scale - the scale will NOT help you lose weight or get in shape - it's a measuring device. Practice can make you a better Test Taker - honing your skills in between CATs is a must. The idea that, after studying, you would just go and take 6 CATs without doing any real studying is a terrible use of those CATs.

5) Most Test Takers take this process more seriously and work more efficiently when they have an Official Test Date. Plan for 3 months from now and book a day/time that will work best with your personality and schedule. Without that Test Date, you're likely to keep pushing everything back and spending far more time on this process than you originally intend to.

6) Working primarily from books can sometimes be problematic, since book-work requires different "mechanics" than computer-work. You'll benefit greatly from using more computer-based resources than focusing on book resources. You should consider an online Guided Self-Study Course, which will give you a study plan, formal assignments and plenty of resources to use.

I'd suggest that you take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT to assess your current skills. Those scores will give us an idea of what you need to focus on and how long you'll likely need to prepare.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:14 pm
I will tell you how to take an untimed "diagnostic" and that is to purchase the GMATPrep Tests add-on pack called the "Prep Pack 1." You can create quizzes with this question set and you can see how you do on a mix of questions on the verbal and on the quant.

Now this will not give you a score, but I am not sure that you want to receive a score from an untimed diagnostic because this would be unrealistic.

Working under timed conditions is one of the most important characteristics of the actual GMAT. If you have worked through all of those GMAT books why would you not want to take a timed practice test? The worst that can happen is that you only finish about 1/2 of the questions and you get a terrible score. Well that happens to lots of people when they take their first (or even second or third) practice test. You better get used to being on the clock and needing to make tough decisions.

I agree with just about everything that Rich said in his thoughtful post above. Particularly points 3 and 4.

My vote is for not taking an untimed exam!

David
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course