Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

Until recently

This topic has 1 expert reply and 10 member replies
atulmangal GMAT Titan Default Avatar
Posted:
1112 messages
Followed by:
48 members
Until recently Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:42 pm
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    Until recently, the Inuit people led a nomadic existence, sheltering in igloos, the ice-block domes that are peculiar to north-central Canada, and in structures made of stones, bones, driftwood, and skins.

A.Until recently, the Inuit people led a nomadic existence, sheltering
    B.During recent times, the Inuit people lead a nomadic existence, sheltering.
    C.In the times that are recent, the Inuit people led a nomadic existence, sheltered.
    D.Up until recently, the Inuit people, leading a nomadic existence, have sheltered.
    E.Until recent times, leading a nomadic existence, the Inuit people were sheltered.

How to pick b/w Op A and Op D

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    Frankenstein GMAT Titan Default Avatar
    Posted:
    1449 messages
    Followed by:
    53 members
    Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:51 pm
    Hi,
    We use present perfect if an action starts in the past and continues in the present. 'Until recently' means the action was there till some time back but now it is over. So, we use simple past for this. Hence we eliminate D. I am not too sure about the usage of 'up' in D. May be that is unnecessary too.

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

MBACRACKER Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
    Posted:
    32 messages
    Test Date:
    21 Dec
    Target GMAT Score:
    GMAT Score:
    Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:57 pm
    IMO A

Until recently means the action is completed. We can eliminate D. That leaves us with A.

FYI
    http://www.nytimes.com/1985/12/22/nyregion/art-arctic-visions-the-art-of-the-inuit-at-the-montclair-museum.html

sameerballani GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
    Posted:
    544 messages
    Followed by:
    2 members
    Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:26 am
    atulmangal wrote:
    Until recently, the Inuit people led a nomadic existence, sheltering in igloos, the ice-block domes that are peculiar to north-central Canada, and in structures made of stones, bones, driftwood, and skins.

C.In the times that are recent, the Inuit people led a nomadic existence, sheltered.
    D.Up until recently, the Inuit people, leading a nomadic existence, have sheltered.
    E.Until recent times, leading a nomadic existence, the Inuit people were sheltered.

My approach was to first decide between sheltering and sheltered.
    On going through the sentence, the intended meaning of author is that: Till recent days, the inuit people led a nomadic existence. HOW? sheltering in.... and in structures ....
    So i felt that the use of sheltering is apt in this case

Coming to first part: During recent times and Until recently
    they both have different meanings and certainly change the meaning. But thinking about the original sentence meaning UNTIL RECENTLY seems apt.

Please point out if i am wrong anywhere.

I hope this helps

Thanks

phanideepak Rising GMAT Star
    Posted:
    77 messages
    Followed by:
    3 members
    Test Date:
    24th August 2011
    Target GMAT Score:
    GMAT Score:
    Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:00 am
    I think A talks about inuit people and that they led a nomadic life only till recently.. But D is talking about the kind of shelters they have used in the recent past.

Change of meaning i think.

Do correct me If i am wrong.

vikram4689 GMAT Titan
    Posted:
    1325 messages
    Followed by:
    14 members
    Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:07 am
    D says - Up until recently, Inuit people have sheltered in Ignoos BUT what have they sheltered - i think meaning is not clear. Is anyone else feels so

sameerballani GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
    Posted:
    544 messages
    Followed by:
    2 members
    Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:33 am
    vikram4689 wrote:
    D says - Up until recently, Inuit people have sheltered in Ignoos BUT what have they sheltered - i think meaning is not clear. Is anyone else feels so
    sheltered themselves!!

Posted:
    1112 messages
    Followed by:
    48 members
    Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:46 am
    Frankenstein wrote:
    Hi,
    We use present perfect if an action starts in the past and continues in the present. 'Until recently' means the action was there till some time back but now it is over. So, we use simple past for this. Hence we eliminate D. I am not too sure about the usage of 'up' in D. May be that is unnecessary too.
    This is a convincing reasoning, totally agree. However, "present perfect" i agree represent action started in past and continues to present but we can't say the action will continue in future as present perfect can also states that the action now is in completed state and from now on the action doesn't continue. for ex:

He has drunk two glasses of lemonade.

He has slept.

I completely agree with you now that since "until recently" means not present maybe for example 15 mins back etc...so present perfect is incorrect. Do you think "up until recently" talks about present??? secondly, is this word "up until recently" redundant??

However, if "up until recently" means

Posted:
    1112 messages
    Followed by:
    48 members
    Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:49 am
    sameerballani wrote:
    atulmangal wrote:

On going through the sentence, the intended meaning of author is that: Till recent days, the inuit people led a nomadic existence. HOW? sheltering in.... and in structures ....

Coming to first part: During recent times and Until recently
    they both have different meanings and certainly change the meaning. But thinking about the original sentence meaning UNTIL RECENTLY seems apt.

Please point out if i am wrong anywhere.

I hope this helps

Thanks
    Hi,

Quote:
    sorry bro, i don't think this makes sense, because u r not selecting b/w participles "sheltering and sheltered" but u are selecting b/w "sheltering and have sheltered".....a participle and verb.

Frankenstein GMAT Titan Default Avatar
    Posted:
    1449 messages
    Followed by:
    53 members
    Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:25 am
    atulmangal wrote:
    Do you think "up until recently" talks about present??? secondly, is this word "up until recently" redundant??

However, if "up until recently" means
    Hi,
    As I have mentioned in my post, I am not sure about the usage of "up until recently". I just felt using 'up' is unnecessary, assuming it doesn't change the meaning of "until recently". Looking forward for experts to answer this.

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

niksworth GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
    Posted:
    520 messages
    Followed by:
    3 members
    Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:56 am
    First.
    A suggests that until recently, the Inuits led a nomadic existence. It supports this premise through the use of a modifier (sheltering in ...) that adds on to the core of the sentence by further emphasizing how that was so.

D reverses the scenario. It focuses on the detail of sheltering by making it a part of the main clause. nomadic existence is just a byline.

I like the first structure much much better.

Second.
    Up in option D is unnecessary, it adds absolutely zero value to the sentence.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:10 am
    sameerballani wrote:
    if this were a choice between the MODIFIER "sheltering" and the MODIFIER "sheltered", then you could do this -- the former would be active (signifying that they sheltered themselves, and the latter passive (implying that someone/something else sheltered them).

however, that's not it -- it's a choice between "sheltering" (modifier) and "HAVE sheltered" (active-voice verb). these don't have different meanings, other than in the sense that the former doesn't have a tense and the latter does.

Quote:
    notice that this is not until NOW -- this is until a time in the recent past. therefore, because this is not happening anymore (and is not directly relevant to some mentioned present situation), you should use the past tense.

therefore, (d) has two problems:
    * "up until" is redundant (you wouldn't be expected to pick this out by yourself, but you should notice it in comparison to the more compact "until")
    * the present perfect doesn't really make sense; should be the past tense

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
    Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
    On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
    Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Thanked by: sameerballani
    Free Manhattan GMAT online events - The first class of every online Manhattan GMAT course is free. Classes start every week.

Best Conversation Starters

1 j_shreyans 98 topics
    2 aditya8062 29 topics
    3 RiyaR 28 topics
    4 tanvis1120 13 topics
    5 Rastis 13 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

150 posts
    2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow