University of Virginia - Darden Questions

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hey All,

I'm a current second year Darden student. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about the school, community, recruiting, etc.

As a high level summary, Darden is among the top ranked business schools, and has a strong reputation for having a General Management focus. This bodes well for consulting and general management rotational programs. Darden also does very as an Investment Banking feeder program. That said, I'm recruiting for marketing and have just as many great opportunities (specifically for Brand Management).

Darden is as tight knit as it gets with aprox 320 students per graduating class. Everyone tends to live nearby and build really strong bonds together. I'm sure its one of the reasons the Alumni Network is as notoriously supportive as it is. Charlottesville weather is very mild, and there are lots of outdoors activities. The local airport is only 10 min away and DC is only 2.5 hrs drive.

The curriculum is 100% case method based which drives a high level of student engagement and participation. I found this refreshing since I would probably fall asleep in a lecture based class. The school is rigorous as its reputation would suggest, but we definitely know how to blow off steam! Plus, cab rides to the main bar area (aka "the corner") are a mere $6 fare. Overall cost of living is extremely affordable. I rent a room for $467/month!

I can't say enough good things about the school. If you're on the fence, I implore you to come check it out and I'm confident that you will be impressed.

Shawn

by Shawn Sturgeon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:44 pm
Hey All,

Some quick application advice:

It seems that a lot of applicants are under the impression they should answer the Learning Team essay in the Darden application to convey why they should choose Darden. This is a not the case. It is best to just answer the questions as posed.

Good Luck! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
Shawn

by sriramswa » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:11 am
Hi Shawn,

How is Charlottesville for entrepreneurial activities?
Also, Darden offers lot of entrepreneurial opportunities. Could you let me know the feasibilities to explore these opportunities given the constraints of time and workload.
Thanks,
Sriram

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by Nadia222 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:51 am
Hi Shawn,

Darden is one of the partner schools with the CFA institute. I wanted to see if you know any students currently studying for te CFA during ther MBA
program. If so is it manageable? And would it be better to come in with level one under my belt?

by Shawn Sturgeon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:23 am
sriramswa wrote:Hi Shawn,

How is Charlottesville for entrepreneurial activities?
Also, Darden offers lot of entrepreneurial opportunities. Could you let me know the feasibilities to explore these opportunities given the constraints of time and workload.
Thanks,
Sriram
I believe you've been in contact with one of our Entrepreneurial-focused students. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

by Shawn Sturgeon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:30 am
Nadia222 wrote:Hi Shawn,

Darden is one of the partner schools with the CFA institute. I wanted to see if you know any students currently studying for te CFA during ther MBA
program. If so is it manageable? And would it be better to come in with level one under my belt?
I don't believe that many folks study for it while they're here. Although I will say the first year core curriculum is very similar to the Level I exam. The problem is it's such a time suck and not many people want to give up their spring break during business school to study for it. There is too much going on for the time that needs to be committed on top of class, recruiting, clubs, etc.

I've asked for a second opinion and will follow up if anything new comes up.

by Shawn Sturgeon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:38 pm
Shawn Sturgeon wrote:
Nadia222 wrote:Hi Shawn,

I don't believe that many folks study for it while they're here. Although I will say the first year core curriculum is very similar to the Level I exam. The problem is it's such a time suck and not many people want to give up their spring break during business school to study for it. There is too much going on for the time that needs to be committed on top of class, recruiting, clubs, etc.

I've asked for a second opinion and will follow up if anything new comes up.

I recently got a second opinion on the CFA exam:

There are a few students (<5) who are preparing for the Level 1 CFA as second years, but the time commitment of first year really prevents any CFA preparation. Most people who have pursued their CFA either complete it before coming to Darden, put the process on hold while at Darden, or take up preparation in their second year.

From browsing our resume books, it seems like two planned to take the exam in December, two more are Level 2 candidates (one of them is a JD/MBA), and we also have someone who took their Level 3 test recently.

Hope this helps.