• PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep

University of Virginia - Darden Questions

This topic has 6 member replies
Shawn Sturgeon Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Joined
30 Sep 2013
Posted:
9 messages

University of Virginia - Darden Questions

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:20 pm
Hey All,

I'm a current second year Darden student. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about the school, community, recruiting, etc.

As a high level summary, Darden is among the top ranked business schools, and has a strong reputation for having a General Management focus. This bodes well for consulting and general management rotational programs. Darden also does very as an Investment Banking feeder program. That said, I'm recruiting for marketing and have just as many great opportunities (specifically for Brand Management).

Darden is as tight knit as it gets with aprox 320 students per graduating class. Everyone tends to live nearby and build really strong bonds together. I'm sure its one of the reasons the Alumni Network is as notoriously supportive as it is. Charlottesville weather is very mild, and there are lots of outdoors activities. The local airport is only 10 min away and DC is only 2.5 hrs drive.

The curriculum is 100% case method based which drives a high level of student engagement and participation. I found this refreshing since I would probably fall asleep in a lecture based class. The school is rigorous as its reputation would suggest, but we definitely know how to blow off steam! Plus, cab rides to the main bar area (aka "the corner") are a mere $6 fare. Overall cost of living is extremely affordable. I rent a room for $467/month!

I can't say enough good things about the school. If you're on the fence, I implore you to come check it out and I'm confident that you will be impressed.

Shawn

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
Shawn Sturgeon Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Joined
30 Sep 2013
Posted:
9 messages
Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:44 pm
Hey All,

Some quick application advice:

It seems that a lot of applicants are under the impression they should answer the Learning Team essay in the Darden application to convey why they should choose Darden. This is a not the case. It is best to just answer the questions as posed.

Good Luck! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
Shawn

sriramswa Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
12 Feb 2013
Posted:
1 messages
Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:11 am
Hi Shawn,

How is Charlottesville for entrepreneurial activities?
Also, Darden offers lot of entrepreneurial opportunities. Could you let me know the feasibilities to explore these opportunities given the constraints of time and workload.
Thanks,
Sriram

Nadia222 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Joined
15 Sep 2013
Posted:
78 messages
Followed by:
6 members
Thanked:
8 times
Target GMAT Score:
720
Post Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:51 am
Hi Shawn,

Darden is one of the partner schools with the CFA institute. I wanted to see if you know any students currently studying for te CFA during ther MBA
program. If so is it manageable? And would it be better to come in with level one under my belt?

Shawn Sturgeon Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Joined
30 Sep 2013
Posted:
9 messages
Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:23 am
sriramswa wrote:
Hi Shawn,

How is Charlottesville for entrepreneurial activities?
Also, Darden offers lot of entrepreneurial opportunities. Could you let me know the feasibilities to explore these opportunities given the constraints of time and workload.
Thanks,
Sriram
I believe you've been in contact with one of our Entrepreneurial-focused students. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Shawn Sturgeon Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Joined
30 Sep 2013
Posted:
9 messages
Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:30 am
Nadia222 wrote:
Hi Shawn,

Darden is one of the partner schools with the CFA institute. I wanted to see if you know any students currently studying for te CFA during ther MBA
program. If so is it manageable? And would it be better to come in with level one under my belt?
I don’t believe that many folks study for it while they're here. Although I will say the first year core curriculum is very similar to the Level I exam. The problem is it’s such a time suck and not many people want to give up their spring break during business school to study for it. There is too much going on for the time that needs to be committed on top of class, recruiting, clubs, etc.

I've asked for a second opinion and will follow up if anything new comes up.

Shawn Sturgeon Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Joined
30 Sep 2013
Posted:
9 messages
Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:38 pm
Shawn Sturgeon wrote:
Nadia222 wrote:
Hi Shawn,

Darden is one of the partner schools with the CFA institute. I wanted to see if you know any students currently studying for te CFA during ther MBA
program. If so is it manageable? And would it be better to come in with level one under my belt?
I don’t believe that many folks study for it while they're here. Although I will say the first year core curriculum is very similar to the Level I exam. The problem is it’s such a time suck and not many people want to give up their spring break during business school to study for it. There is too much going on for the time that needs to be committed on top of class, recruiting, clubs, etc.

I've asked for a second opinion and will follow up if anything new comes up.
I recently got a second opinion on the CFA exam:

There are a few students (<5) who are preparing for the Level 1 CFA as second years, but the time commitment of first year really prevents any CFA preparation. Most people who have pursued their CFA either complete it before coming to Darden, put the process on hold while at Darden, or take up preparation in their second year.

From browsing our resume books, it seems like two planned to take the exam in December, two more are Level 2 candidates (one of them is a JD/MBA), and we also have someone who took their Level 3 test recently.

Hope this helps.

Best Conversation Starters

1 Vincen 180 topics
2 lheiannie07 65 topics
3 Roland2rule 49 topics
4 ardz24 40 topics
5 LUANDATO 16 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

146 posts
2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

103 posts
3 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

100 posts
4 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

92 posts
5 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

79 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts