Unique Profile Evaluation Please

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by pscher31 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:19 pm
Hi, figured I would give you a quick update and ask for you advice.

I applied to all my schools 1st round and was wait-listed at ND (dream school) and was accepted at all of the lower tier schools. I wasn't sure if ND was going to happen so I a threw a 1k deposit down with Wake Forest, who gave approx. 50% scholarship. ND just came back with an admissions offer. Not sure about financial aid yet, there wasn't any info regarding that passed on to me. But I've read that typically coming off the waitlist you don't normally get any aid. What are your thoughts on my situation? What would you do? It would be an absolute dream to go to ND, however the financial burden is the issue, especially if I am not given any type of financial aid from ND. Would you personally be willing to take out 90k+ in loans to go to ND over WF?

Additionally, if I was going to withdraw my application from WF after reserving my spot, what's the proper way to go about doing that?

Thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:51 pm
Hi there,

Thanks for the updates, and CONGRATS on all of your acceptances! That is excellent, very excited for you. First of all, you are in a great position where you can't go wrong, so keep that in mind. ;)

Secondly, I think knowing full details about the financial aid scenarios is likely important to your decision, so I would get in touch with admissions and/or financial aid at Notre Dame asap and just explain your situation. Let them know you are thrilled, they are your first choice, but you do have a half scholarship at WF and you would like to know what financial aid opportunities you will be eligible for there so you can compare accurately. If you are still abroad then you can mention that too, that you are trying to figure things out from afar and just see if you can get some info and answers if possible.

Keep in mind that a large number of b-school students do finance their degree through low-interest-rate educational loans, paid off by their post MBA salaries over 5-15 years or so. It is a very personal choice and decision of course, and you have to assess all of the possible implications of either school, and the financial decisions, etc.

As for the two schools, again it is a personal choice, and you know generally Notre Dame is higher ranked and a bit more well-known. But that may or may not make an impact in your choice, and some of it depends on where you see yourself after the degree and which program will best help you to get there. Here are some differences to consider, which you probably have researched yourself....

-class size: WF class is 120-ish; ND just over 300. That experience will be different. There are pros and cons... smaller class can mean getting to know everyone that much better; larger can mean you get to know MORE people and potentially could be exposed to more perspectives/backgrounds. Have a look at the class profiles at each to get a feel for who tends to apply/attend the schools, as a lot of learning at b-school does come from your classmates, not just professors. ;)

-leading areas grads go into: both have strong financial services grads; ND is also strong in technology; WF is also strong for consumer products.

-average starting salaries: ND is higher, but that can vary a lot depending upon the job/industry

-city/experience: the university itself at Notre Dame is larger overall than WF; though the city of South Bend's population is smaller than Winston Salem. But I encourage you to get in touch with current students and alum (admissions will put you in touch via email if needed!!) and ask them not only all about their experiences!! but also about life in those two cities, pros and cons, etc.

Let me know if you have other questions or would like to bounce ideas off further. I definitely think getting in touch with several students/alum can be very useful for these types of decisions! Good luck again!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

by pscher31 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:08 am
So, no aid from Notre Dame. Getting 25k/year from Wake. Long term obviously ND is the better investment and its where I want to be. It's going to be tough to take out the full cost in loans but that's the way I'm leaning. I want to be a part of that family and that tradition of excellence.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:34 pm
I hear ya, it's a tough decision. ;) But sounds like you know what your heart and head are telling you, so I think that makes sense. And if you feel you'll have more opportunities etc, and that is where you see yourself as a lifelong alum... then that says a lot. On a personal note I financed the degree fully with loans, and know many friends who did the same, and we have felt it was a worthwhile investment (8 years out now). ;)
Jennifer Kedrowski
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

by pscher31 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:31 am
I think I've just been really lucky as I've gotten 50k from all the schools I was accepted to, whereas in reality many people don't get that kind of aid. I'm going with ND. Thanks for your help and guidance throughout this whole process. I really appreciate it! If you're working with any applicants that are considering ND, send them my way if they want someone to talk to about it (That way I can at least try and pay you back for the free advice). Again, thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJenK » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:14 pm
Thank you, and appreciate that, will keep in mind! Wishing you all the best for an amazing b-school experience! ;)
Jennifer Kedrowski
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]