Unique professional background

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Unique professional background

by goduke2006 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:41 pm
Hi, I've been researching MBA admissions and want to ask your advice. I am strongly considering applying to B-school in one or two years. Now is the time to start preparing.

My main question is how much will my professional background and industry distinguish me? Also, would it allow me to reach for schools better than my "numbers" would otherwise suggest?

First, here's my professional background. I'm 25 and I've worked for three years as a television news reporter in a mid-size market. I've been promoted to the station's consumer reporter, the flagship on-air position and main brand identity for the station. I also oversee a department of 20+ volunteers who operate our consumer hotline/phone bank. I train and supervise them to answer viewer calls, research their problems, contact businesses, and resolve consumer complaints. I helped launch the program and developed policies and training programs. We expect to recover well into the six-figures for our viewers by next year. I have similar media/journalism leadership experience dating back almost 10 years to when I was in high school.

Would I be a unique candidate?

GPA: 3.4 from Duke

I've never taken the GMAT and, honestly, don't have a good idea what it would be. Clearly, I know this is an incredibly important aspect to MBA admissions. Let's say I score in the 600s. Is my background unique enough to give me a boost to still be accepted to a top tier school even with a score at the lower end, or outside of, the 50 or 80 percent range?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:59 pm
GoDuke2006,

Thanks for your note. Your background as a TV news reporter will clearly allow you to stand out from the more typical banking/consulting/engineering MBA applicant. In addition, it sounds like you have really distinguished yourself at work - you have been promoted and you manage 20 volunteers. I am particularly impressed that you helped to launch this volunteer program - this is a great way to show leadership.

While your work experience is quite unique, you still will need to get a decent GMAT score. Meaning, if you get less than a 680, I would still encourage you to retake it. Thus, it is well worth your effort to study hard so that you get a good GMAT score.

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Follow up

by goduke2006 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:23 pm
Eliot,

Many thanks for your message.

I have a follow up question. When we see schools reporting their middle 80 percent GMAT ranges, we know dozens and dozens of students scored below the bottom score. In your experience, who are these students? Are they legacies? Development admits? Students who add to the ethnic diversity of the class? Harvard's website says some students scored 550. I certainly presume no one got into Harvard with a 550 who was a consultant or engineer. These are obviously somewhat hypothetical questions, but I have been curious about this.

Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:49 pm
goduke2006,

Thanks for your reply. As a general rule, you should apply to schools where your gmat score is within the middle 80% gmat range. (Ideally you would be closer to the top half of the range.)

I think it is safe to say that someone who gains admission to a top school with a low GMAT score (below the middle 80% range) is offering something that serves the institutional interests of the school - as you say, perhaps they are legacies or development admits. Unless you have a very strong connection, I would focus on schools where your score falls within the middle 80% range.

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.