Uncontrolled dioxins

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

Uncontrolled dioxins

by goelmohit2002 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:50 am
Hi All,

In the following question, the OA is [spoiler]E[/spoiler]. Can someone please tell what is wrong with[spoiler] D.[/spoiler]

A report by the American Academy for the Advancement of Science has concluded that much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes from the incineration of wastes.
(A) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes
(B) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins that North Americans are exposed to come
(C) much of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and that North Americans are exposed to comes
(D) many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and North Americans are exposed to come
(E) many of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed come

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by shibal » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:12 pm
'are exposed to come' is weird...., additionaly, 'currently uncontrolled dioxins' is better in comparison to 'dioxins that are currently uncontrolled'

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:55 pm
Thanks.

Can you please elanorate a bit more why 'currently uncontrolled dioxins' is better in comparison to 'dioxins that are currently uncontrolled'

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:680

Re: Uncontrolled dioxins

by tohellandback » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:40 pm
goelmohit2002 wrote:Hi All,

In the following question, the OA is [spoiler]E[/spoiler]. Can someone please tell what is wrong with[spoiler] D.[/spoiler]

A report by the American Academy for the Advancement of Science has concluded that much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes from the incineration of wastes.
(A) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes
(B) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins that North Americans are exposed to come
(C) much of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and that North Americans are exposed to comes
(D) many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and North Americans are exposed to come
(E) many of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed come
D is wrong because of "and"
due to and the sentence sounds like this
many of the dioxins that are currentrly uncontrolled are exposed to come...AND
many of the dioxins that are north American are exposed to come..

I hope its clear..
The powers of two are bloody impolite!!

by Mayur Sand » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:27 pm
Many - countable Items
Much - Uncountable Items

here dioxins can be measured in environment , then why are we not using E

Please let me know whr iam wrong in explanation

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:680

by tohellandback » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:33 pm
Mayur Sand wrote:Many - countable Items
Much - Uncountable Items

here dioxins can be measured in environment , then why are we not using E

Please let me know whr iam wrong in explanation
I don't really understand your question. The answer is E.
The powers of two are bloody impolite!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:750+

by ILULA08 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:55 pm
I think answer as posted by goelmohit2002 is B and not E.
And "much , many " explanation is correct.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by scoobydooby » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:59 pm
goelmohit2002 wrote:Thanks.

Can you please elanorate a bit more why 'currently uncontrolled dioxins' is better in comparison to 'dioxins that are currently uncontrolled'
the latter is a wordier form of the former. (shorter is better provided it makes sense)

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:22 am
scoobydooby wrote:
goelmohit2002 wrote:Thanks.

the latter is a wordier form of the former. (shorter is better provided it makes sense)
Hi Scooby,

Thanks. the reason OG says to kick out D is that "D requires that before North Americans, to be grammatically complete".....

Can you please tell why that is required ? as per my understanding it is not necessary to have "that" in the second item of that list....

i.e. as per my understanding "Report concluded that X and Y" is grammatically correct....

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by scoobydooby » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:21 am
yes we need "that" before Americans for parallelism in D.

many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and (many of the dioxins) that North Americans are exposed to come

we must make sure both sides of "and" are "that clauses"

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:17 am
OG question, which means I can only give a brief response. Also, please remember to include the source in your original post of a problem. The instructors aren't supposed to respond unless / until a source is given! (Someone else mentioned it further down in the thread.)

I was asked to address why D is wrong.

A report... has concluded that many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and North Americans are exposed to come from Y

the "and" indicates parallelism. Logically and structurally, we'd expect "N.A. are exposed to" to be parallel to "are currently uncontrolled." Each item is about "dioxins":

many of the dioxins are currently uncontrolled
many of the dioxins North Americans are exposed to

Logically, they're okay, but structurally, they're not parallel.

Now, in this case, we would also want to insert the word "that," as others have mentioned above. Although we don't always have to insert the word "that" for the 2nd item, in this case, the sentence is complex enough that the addition of the word "that" for the 2nd item would actually help to make the structure more clear.

Although I still think it wouldn't be a good sentence, because we'd then have three "that" words in there! Awkward and potentially confusing (would the third "that" be parallel to the first or second?). Notice how the correct answer basically totally changes things around at that part of the sentence, compared to D.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Re: Uncontrolled dioxins

by El Cucu » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:26 am
goelmohit2002 wrote:Hi All,

If you say dioxins uncontrolled...and exposed"= 2 verbs so to mantain parallelism shoud use that...+that
E is ok as is only one verb

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by beatItWillYou » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:19 am
Hi guys ,
is'nt those the plural form of that ??
should we not use those in the above sentence because we are talking about dioxins which is plural ??
Please correct me if i am wrong i have been breaking my head on this.
Thanks in advance!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:16 am
Hi @beatItWillYou,

I think you are getting confused between the two usages of "that" - that as relative pronoun and that as demonstrative pronoun. When "that" is used as a relative pronoun, it is always used in singular form regardless of whether it refers to a singular noun or a plural noun. However, when it is used as a demonstrative pronoun to identify a noun entity, "that" is used to demonstrate a singular entity and "those" to demonstrate a plural entity. For example:

Bank of America offices are in those buildings that are east of the traffic signal.

In this sentence, "those" demonstrates or identifies the plural noun "buildings". And hence is plural. However, pay attention to "that". It refers to the plural noun buildings but is used in singular form. It basically provides additional information about the buildings through the dependent clause "that are east of the traffic signal".

Hope this helps clarify your confusion. I suggest you search online and read up some reference material on these two kinds of pronouns. This will further help cement the difference in your mind. In addition, you may review "Pronouns" concept in the free trial of e-GMAT SC course. To access free trial, register here . You may view a help video here .

Regards,
Payal